Suspension In-Coil Airbag Durability?

I was just curious if you have had any experience with the in-coil style suspension airbags? Do they tear after off road use? Is the ride smooth? etc. etc.

Like these: http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2966A0A0.aspx Only $97

I'm looking to beef up the rear end of my pathy- it squats way too much with only people in the back seat. With gear/supplies it's quite noticeable. I already have Bilstein 4600s which I bought a few months ago, so no shock upgrades for me...

Thanks!

did you replace the springs when you did the shocks? the springs are what holds the vehicles weight as well as any load.

they do sag over time.

I believe the air bags are most useful when towing as they firm up the suspension for the added tongue weight.

:yeahthat: I read somewhere on someone's post (don't think it was this forum) that the bags got covered in grit and that combined with extreme flexing of the suspension heped ahnialtate them more quickly. I am sorry, I don't remember where I read that. I also don't remember if the person that posted aired them down a bit or kept them full.

Not sure what kid of wheeling you do but keep in mind that the stiffer your suspension, the less flex you are going to get and you will lose traction to one of the wheels. Especially imortant if you have no LSD in the rear.

Spend on a spring set. OME HD/MD or if you want to lift your truck AC 2" lift. If you really want to lift it, then get the SFD with WJ rear coils. All three options provide you with rear coils stiffer than what is in the truck OEM.

If you don't do heavy wheeling and tow lots, then they might be right for you.

Edited by Bluewulf73

Before I got my AC 2" lift, I installed a pair of AirLift bags, which replaced the factory bump stops. The inflation valve is mounted on the panhard rod brace in the left rear wheel well.

http://shop.airliftcompany.com/product/0/60742/_/Air_Lift_1000%3B_Coil_Spring_Leveling_Kit

They worked very well to help level the rear, especially while loaded and/or towing. After I installed the 2" lift, they are no longer needed, but I still have the bags installed as bump stops. They've been installed for over 120,000 miles and they're not worn out at all. The only thing you need to be sure to do is to drill out the lower spring perch with the correctly sized drill bit to prevent the air line from getting pinched when the spring compresses.

• Like 1

Before I got my AC 2" lift, I installed a pair of AirLift bags, which replaced the factory bump stops. The inflation valve is mounted on the panhard rod brace in the left rear wheel well.

http://shop.airliftcompany.com/product/0/60742/_/Air_Lift_1000%3B_Coil_Spring_Leveling_Kit

They worked very well to help level the rear, especially while loaded and/or towing. After I installed the 2" lift, they are no longer needed, but I still have the bags installed as bump stops. They've been installed for over 120,000 miles and they're not worn out at all. The only thing you need to be sure to do is to drill out the lower spring perch with the correctly sized drill bit to prevent the air line from getting pinched when the spring compresses.

That's exactly how mine were which I removed after the AC lift but I've been thinking about putting them back in because with full weight the rear squats. Mine had the pressure switch and 12v compressor too, but I removed all that and will go to the basic schrader valve setup and run 5-8psi at all times.

id you replace the springs when you did the shocks? the springs are what holds the vehicles weight as well as any load.

they do sag over time.

I believe the air bags are most useful when towing as they firm up the suspension for the added tongue weight.

Right, I actually didn't, but the Pathy only has 79k so they should be alrightish... I think the rear suspension is weak by design anyway, I've seen many pathfinders with people in them sagging in the same way.

Excellent, just what I was wanting to hear! Was your flex limited by them at all? I would like to do the same if I ever lift.

And to others- I'm mainly looking to level out the rear when I have a load, I'm doing multiple 1000 mile+ roadtrips this summer, and would like to prevent the suspension sag.