Water pump

So I found out that my water pump is going bad. I was in the middle of the search for a coolant leak when I discovered the source of the whine I've been hearing. Has any one done a water pump for the vg33 and how much of pain is it?

Might as well get a timing belt and tensioner while you're at it as you will have to get down to the "nitty-gritty" to remove the pump. It's not really that difficult to do once you've removed the accessory belts, fan, fan shroud and timing belt covers.

Am I forgetting anything guys? :scratchhead:

Oh yeah, the big one! I almost forgot you have to remove the harmonic balancer (crank pulley).

whew.gifThat was close.

My TB change was the first time I had ever did anything of that caliber on any of my vehicles. Until then, the biggest job I did was replace some CV axles on an old Honda I used to own. I have now been into my timing chamber three times now. I'm getting pretty good at it! If you were close to me, we could knock it out in four hours (six to seven with beer).

Here's a comment I posted after I did mine........

"The timing belt isn't that bad, take the rad out, remove the belts, pulleys, plastic cover, etc. The only problem I had was the nut that holds the crank pulley was a bee-arstard to get undone, had to put a long breaker bar on it, rest it against the inner fender & then kick the engine a couple of times :lmao: I know "purists" are going to scream bloody murder that I used such a half-arsed hillbilly method, but hey, it got the job done :lol: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:".

You don't need a light, just make sure you mark the pulley's & the back plate with white paint or something so that you can keep them lined up, then you won't have to worry about the timing. If you try to start it after the TB change & it runs rough, you're a tooth off.

Here's a link to a thread with a couple of photos......

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34405-timing-belt-job-done-thanx-npora/

As devonianwalk says, make sure you replace the belt, tensioners, etc, while you're there.

White out is definitely a must in my tool box right next to the brick lol. I was going to mark them anyways just a little nervous to do it because I'm not really the best in engine work. Question though, if you guys were in my situation with the water pump,(hasn't failed and no signs of fail, just an annoying whine) would you change it yet?

Depends on how long you've had the car? Has it been changed before?

Water pumps shouldn't make any noise so it's probably on the way out. On a recent trip to the desert a Mitsubishi Montero was with us & it had a noisy water pump. The water pump finally gave up the ghost in the middle of a place called Fish Wash & I ended up towing the Montero about 10 miles, most of it off road.

White out is definitely a must in my tool box right next to the brick lol. I was going to mark them anyways just a little nervous to do it because I'm not really the best in engine work. Question though, if you guys were in my situation with the water pump,(hasn't failed and no signs of fail, just an annoying whine) would you change it yet?

The whine could easily be the tensioner as well, I bought a cheap tensioner that I regret, but under no load, it sounds like an old subaru outback, getting quality parts makes a difference, but as others have stated,timing isn't that hard, shops make it sound like the end of the world, and had us all tricked, it's a regular maintenance part, so they make it fairly easy to change, because the manufacturer wants you to change it.

-Kyle

• Like 1

.. but under no load, it sounds like an old subaru outback, ..

Meh' Subaru's are for preppy nerds and geeks. Short all wheel drive "grocery getters". Kind of like a castrated Pathfinder. Tee-hee!

• Like 3

Meh' Subaru's are for preppy nerds and geeks. Short all wheel drive "grocery getters". Kind of like a castrated Pathfinder. Tee-hee!

Disagree. Almost bought a 2005 Outback forester recently for the girl. Dependable, extremely simple, easy to maintain, AWD, fun to drive, and decent gas mileage.