chugging feeling when I first start up?

Patty

hey guys i'm having a bit of a problem and I do not know what it is, I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

I have a 1998 pathfinder chilkoot. When I first get driving it has a kind of chug, now i cannot tell if it something slipping or if it's the motor having a miss. When it does it the check engine light flashes (mine is on solid all the time because of some stupid fuel sensor). After driving for a few minutes it seems to go away. Any thoughts?

Cheers!!

Flashing SES indicates misfire. Can you post all current engine codes? How many miles on your Pathfinder?

I'm not sure of the codes showing up I usually bring it to the shop for anything engine wise, I'm not very mechanically inclined, swapped out a cv axle and that was a chore for me. The pathfinder has 183,000kms

Town has a good point. If you can find the code (usually free at a big box auto parts store) you could figure out which cylinder has the misfire. Might be as simple as a bad plug wire or a tainted rotor button in the dizzy cap.

The shops around here are a bit crazy, cheapest place i could find that will do a code scan was $80. Luckily I found a backyard mechanic on Kijiji that will do it for $20. I'll post on here tonight what codes we come up with. Thanks for the input!

Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone do free code readings.

We don't have either of those here in Nova Scotia. Not that I know of anyways.

I ended up paying a guy $20 for a scan. Here's what we came up with:

P0301- Cylinder #1 Misfire

P0440- Evap

P1448- Evap vent control valve

So my next question would be what the next step is in fixing my misfire issue?

Thanks

Make sure the spark plug is not fouled or excessively oily. Try to ensure the spark plug wire isn't damaged too.

This. Just replace your plugs and wires to start. It's cheaper if you buy the parts and replace them yourself. If you have questions about how to do it, ask! Just post here or, PM one of us and we'll be happy to guide you. It's really easy to do and you'll feel good about fixing it yourself.

This. Just replace your plugs and wires to start. It's cheaper if you buy the parts and replace them yourself. If you have questions about how to do it, ask! Just post here or, PM one of us and we'll be happy to guide you. It's really easy to do and you'll feel good about fixing it yourself.

I think that is what I will do, any suggestions on the brand of plug/wires to get? I'll probably get them from Canadian tire as it is near by. I also hear getting to plug # 6 can be a b*h, hopefully it is doable.

I am picking up a set of Prestolite plug wires and Platinum NGK plugs tonight at CarQuest for $89 and gonna put them in tomorrow. Hopefully this clears up my issue. I'll let yas know how i make out, cause if it doesn't work.......there will be more questions hahaha.

Well over the weekend I ended up putting plugs, wires, button and a cap on my pathfinder. I had a hell of a time with a couple plugs but other than that it wasn't too bad. It seems to be running much smoother now. Thanks for the advice on what to have done!

Would you guys reccomend any other DIY tune ups for it? (1998 with 183,000kms) Before I purchased it he says he flushed all the fluids. That's all I can think of.

LOL The guys at Car Quest gave me such a good deal on the whole package I couldn't pass it up! $115 taxes in. I'm gonna have look at my air filter this weekend and see what I can do there, I'll also do some research on the MAF Sensor since I have no sweet clue what it is or does haha. Thanks.

:angry: HEY! YOU SAID IF IT DIDN'T WORK YOU WERE GOING TO ASK MORE QUESTIONS.

Honestly, air filter and clean the MAF sensor.

Timing belt if its never been done

Just a guess that a timing belt change is outta my leauge and may be a bit more expensive than I want to spend on an old beater. Cheers

I'll also do some research on the MAF Sensor since I have no sweet clue what it is or does haha. Thanks.

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is that little wire harness that you've probably put your hand on while staring at your motor. It's located on the air intake tube that is held in place by the giant "zip tie" looking thingie just above and behind your radiator. There are two phillips head screws that hold it on. Loosen the screws, unplug the harness, and shoot the sensors with a can of MAF Cleaner that you can purchase for around $9 at Carquest. Do not touch the sensors with ANYTHING as they are very very fragile. Mine changed color when I cleaned mine on both my Pathy and my wife's Honda because they were so dirty. Now I clean them every time I change my air filter.

This is caused the the somewhat common early R50 evap canister chaRcoal breaking down and destroying the vent control valve attached to it after 10 years or so on the vehicle.

It is probably also the cause of your CEL.

P0440- Evap

P1448- Evap vent control valve