Beater/DD r50 Pathfinder - Gotta Find Some Trails

Blevinger

Hello. Great forum. Already posted a few times but never got around to an intro.

RIG

1996 4x4 5spd mostly stock (minus some obvious bits)

low end model (XE?) manual windows

STORY

Low-ish miles but bought it off a dumb college kid (who was a forum member) and beat the crap out of it. Had to fix a lot of stuff just to get it to pass inspection.

Paint and Body are shot. No rust though.

Daily Driver, work in progress. Hope to take it to and fro some easy trails this summer (CLT, NC region)

MODS/FIXES

- new steering rack

- alignment

- unbent radiator support for that matter

- lots of electrical nonsense with the turn signals

- ditto above with the horn (bypass)

- 35% / 5% tint

- new radiator

- new AC condensor

- clock spring BS (airbag light still flashing...)

- radiator expansion tank relocation

- washer fluid reservoir now a Nalgene bottle (thread for those two)

- scrap metal bumper

- dark blue hood from pull-a-part (thanks forum)

- 31x10.5x15 BFGs on 15x8 Steelies with fake beadlocks (thread)

IN WAIT...

- rear bumper

- HVAC module assembly

- o2 sensor

- diy snorkle

- rock sliders

- working lights on the roof-rack (plus some rear lighting)

- hitch

- maybe a rear-tire carrier

- go to Nissan dealer and have front seatbelts replaced (thanks forum)

- 2" spring lift (and new shocks, need badly)...someday

PIX

2126467_600.jpg

2126466_600.jpg

Edited by Blevinger

Howdy and welcome, belatedly... :D

Thanks for the intro!

1996 4x4 5spd mostly stock (minus some obvious bits)

low end model (XE?) manual windows

Interesting, I didn't even know such an animal existed! Manual windows are rare enough on WD21s but I thought all R50s were power... :shrug:

B

• Like 1

Howdy and welcome, belatedly... :D

Thanks for the intro!

Interesting, I didn't even know such an animal existed! Manual windows are rare enough on WD21s but I thought all R50s were power... :shrug:

B

Ha. Didn't know that. Well, lucky for me the AC works!

Nice rig. Some issues, but definitely workable. Um, one thing about the blinkers that may be wonky. Is that the original front blinkers were in the bumper fascia. I know it is possible to relocate the plug to the marker lights and possibly change the bulb to the right on to work. But not sure if even with that done it still creates the "fast blinker" problem. Unless you have other issues..heh

I would definitely check out the air bag light blinking. Something may be unplugged or a sensor messed up. Especially if the radiator support is/was bent. Which looking at that bumper, looks like it would hit a lot of stuff. You dont need that randomly inflating on you while driving or other wise. Will hurt and probably cause a accident. o.O

Howdy neighbor! I'm just south of the border from you (RH, South Cakalaki). I can tell you that you'd do well with that rig in Uwharrie Nat'l Forrest. It's located just outside of Albemarle, NC. I'll try to give you plenty of notice when my wheeling buddies fix their rigs. We'll start camping as soon as it gets warm enough.

Howdy neighbor! I'm just south of the border from you (RH, South Cakalaki). I can tell you that you'd do well with that rig in Uwharrie Nat'l Forrest. It's located just outside of Albemarle, NC. I'll try to give you plenty of notice when my wheeling buddies fix their rigs. We'll start camping as soon as it gets warm enough.

Yeah man. Would definitely like to go wheeling there sometimes. I'd be nervous as heck though because the Pathy has to get me there and back and to work on Monday.

I read there are trails for stock vehicles. A caravan would be sweet. Give a shout for sure.

Nice rig. Some issues, but definitely workable. Um, one thing about the blinkers that may be wonky. Is that the original front blinkers were in the bumper fascia. I know it is possible to relocate the plug to the marker lights and possibly change the bulb to the right on to work. But not sure if even with that done it still creates the "fast blinker" problem. Unless you have other issues..heh

The blinker issues were basically: they weren't there, pathy had no marker lights (wouldn't pass inspection without), and the harness to both were cut up because PO had some funny ideas about fog lights...

Everything works now, but I have to build in a new spot in the bumper to hold the turn signals. In time, in time.

I would definitely check out the air bag light blinking. Something may be unplugged or a sensor messed up. Especially if the radiator support is/was bent. Which looking at that bumper, looks like it would hit a lot of stuff. You dont need that randomly inflating on you while driving or other wise. Will hurt and probably cause a accident. o.O

Yeah, I don't know what to think about the blinking anymore. I went to the trouble to get the clockspring out...and it wasn't broken. Then I put another one in...and that didn't help either. Didn't know if there was some airbag light reset the dealer could do. I read that flashing means the bag would still work, but that a solid means the computer thinks it is missing. Not sure what else to do there.

The rad support had been crunched a bit at some point. Personally, I'll be building out the bumper more to prevent that from happening again if/when I go wheeling. Is there a sensor down there related to the airbag?

Edited by Blevinger

I would look it up in the FSM how all the air bag wiring is. Should tell you where all the sensors are etc. I know on GMs they were always larger gauge bright yellow wires. Not sure on our Pathfinders.

But it should have some good info for figuring out what is going on. For my '99 the FSM where all the air bag stuff is located is the RS section. (Restraint System)

If you need a quick fix for inspection. Could probably get some surface mount or flush mount side marker lights for a trailer from Northern or auto parts store for el cheapo.

Edited by Rebelord

Yeah man. Would definitely like to go wheeling there sometimes. I'd be nervous as heck though because the Pathy has to get me there and back and to work on Monday.

No worries. We like to camp Fri and Sat night so that we have Sunday to do repairs. I'm in the same boat as you as driving it up there and back.

• 2 weeks later...

LSIeEcv.jpg

Added some longterm maintenance items as well as grew my fix list...guess I'm keeping the Pathy for awhile.

MODS/FIXES

- new steering rack

- alignment

- unbent radiator support for that matter

- 35% / 5% tint

- new radiator

- new AC condensor

- clock spring BS (airbag light still flashing...)

- washer fluid reservoir now a Nalgene bottle (thread for those two)

- scrap metal bumper

- 31x10.5x15 BFGs on 15x8 Steelies with fake beadlocks (thread)

- both belt pulleys

- new sparkplugs

- fluids front to back, diffs and t-case likely had never been changed (!)

IN WAIT...

- rear bumper

- HVAC module assembly

- RF CV boot

- manual hubs (?)

- Quest Alternator

- o2 sensor

- diy snorkle

- rock sliders

- hitch

- maybe a rear-tire carrier

- go to Nissan dealer and have front seatbelts replaced (thanks forum)

- 2" spring lift (and new shocks, need badly)...someday

What? That thing is on its last leg. I'll buy it from you! I want a purpose built beater rig.

Seriously though, I'll PM you with plenty of notice when we go back up to Uwharrie. If you are interested in doing any mudding, I'll let you know when we do that as well. However, I strongly recommend NOT doing the heavy mud stuff. Playing in the shallow stuff is fine, just don't hit the crap like you see in my signature picture. I almost killed my engine while that photo was being taken ( York, SC).

• 2 months later...

Finally got the front bumper completed with a skid plate. Still have enough airflow going through there with the found scrap-metal perforated piece. Sweet Gorilla Tape antennae, huh? No armor underneath yet.

NmDjgjq.jpg

Also, doin work this weekend: Pathy swallowing up some 12' material.

jozL9Fz.jpg

Mods/Fixes update (just a list to help me keep track)

TO DO

- diy snorkle

- HVAC module assembly

- Quest Alternator

- hitch

- 2" AC lift

COMPLETE MODS

- manual hubs

- scrap metal bumpers

- 31x10.5x15 BFGs on 15x8 Steelies with fake beadlocks ( title="">thread)

- 35% / 5% tint

- washer fluid reservoir now a Nalgene bottle ( title="">thread for those two)

- scrap metal bumper

FIXES/MAINTENANCE

- bootleg CV boot

- both belt pulleys

- new steering rack

- new sparkplugs

- fluids front to back, diffs and t-case likely had never been changed

- alignment

- new radiator

- new AC condensor

Edited by Blevinger

I like the bumper! I do recommend adding a triangular piece at an angle on either side though, just end point to end point. It should be an easy addition while mounted and it would finish the look and keep a lot of splash/road debris out of the engine area...

B

nice truck! hey what kind of roof basket you running? im looking into that as for my next upgrade on my r50. thanks!

Thanks, man. Roof rack came with the rig. It's not made for the r50; I think it's off a Jeep (Cherokee?) and it's just bolted in a couple spots to the r50's luggage rails.

Point being, find a cheap one and tie on!

I like the bumper! I do recommend adding a triangular piece at an angle on either side though, just end point to end point. It should be an easy addition while mounted and it would finish the look and keep a lot of splash/road debris out of the engine area...

B

Yeah, that would be easy. Another thing I want to do is made add some secondary curves to the sides of the main hoop. Something to better protect the headlights.