It fianlly beat me!

kmgar99

Tried to replace my knock sensor on my 96....two F'in hoses i couldn't get off....gave up, put it all back together. guess i'll have to order a harness and relocate it. At least i got to be in the garage drinking all day!! Yah me

What hoses were they? I'm asking because when I stripped the motor on the Pathy I parted out, there were a few hoses I couldn't budge and finally just cut them off. I think they were on the coolant passage that runs through the valley, the ones in back (its been a while).

MaritimeMan relocated his knock sensor to the bell housing, as close to the motor as possible, and it seemsed to work just fine...

B

I find that if you take channel locks and put a little wiggle on the stubborn hose it will break loose pretty easily. I went through the "hose won't budge" issue with my wife's Honda when I changed out the cylinder head on that POS.

Precise1 - Those were them! The clips are smaller than the flanged ends of the pipe the hoses fit over so you can't move the clip far enough away that the hoses can come off.

Dude it totally possible, i replaced my knock sensor in the correct location, just don't be afraid to break the hose, get yourself some nice long arm needle pliers from harbor freight and go to town.

Devoniawalk has the right idea, just get down in there loosen them up and pull!!!! then you can the the upper plenum off, next you'll have to deal with the lower plenum coolant lines, it goes from the thermostat to the lower plenum to the back of the engine, that one really sucks, its a like a 3" long 90º hose that WILL MOVE. But it will eventually give up.

I agreed with you though on those hoses, they are a like a word im trying to think of.

Starts with B end with itch.

Keep at it man, you'll do just fine.

It so satisfying once you get down there and get at your knock sensor.

-Kyle

No 'possibly' about it. P...

:D

Precise1 - Those were them! The clips are smaller than the flanged ends of the pipe the hoses fit over so you can't move the clip far enough away that the hoses can come off.

I don't recall that, but I do recall it was tight where I couldn't get a good grip on them with anything and they would not budge at all, even prying and with my paws. I wonder if they used some sort of rubber sealant on them to insure they don't leak (easily) considering how burried they are... :shrug:

B

That hose has probably not been touched in 16 years! Perseverance and patience, I hav efaith you can do it! (though I'll admit I'd be on that relocate wagon right quick, I'm honestly looking for how I want to do it with the block temp sensor on my truck right now because I don't wanna change it...)

Sensory overload. I want to run with this but, my two "targets" are moderators and can possibly ban me. icon_headbang.gif

and don't forget we have the ability to edit stuff in your account, and I have ideas... :gay:

I would have kept at it, but it had to be up and running this morning. Really hard to get to the back of the engine with a 3" lift and 32" tires...i'm not as spry as i used to be!!

I'll go at it agin in a few weeks when i have more than four hours to do it....After all the work i've done to this truck myself over the last 15 years, two hoses stopped me!!!!!!

No 'possibly' about it. P...

:D

Ha! Trusting my instincts saved my interwebs hide.

Just soak it in some wd40 and work it back and forth...gurl :gay:

:lol:

... and don't forget we have the ability to edit stuff in your account, and I have ideas... :gay:

:ohmy:

I would have kept at it, but it had to be up and running this morning. Really hard to get to the back of the engine with a 3" lift and 32" tires...i'm not as spry as i used to be!!

I'll go at it agin in a few weeks when i have more than four hours to do it....After all the work i've done to this truck myself over the last 15 years, two hoses stopped me!!!!!!

I actually cut the hoses off of my wife's car to remove the intake plenum. When I put my hands on the donor motor, I broke the seal ( :shrug: ) by twisting the hoses clockwise/anti-clockwise before pulling on them. They came off surprisingly easy.

• 3 weeks later...

ya i just cut mine when i took off the upper plenum to get to the driver side valve cover gasket, messed with it for hours then a razor knife made the job much quicker. I figured "hours" of frustration vs 2 dollars worth of hose!

GL to ya