Doorlock cylinder spins in '95 Pathy

Canuck

Suddenly my driver door lock cannot be operated from outside, it appears as if the cylinder turns freely all around when I turn the key. Works from inside.

Anybody know a fix?

I have a similar issue on my 93 with the passenger doorlock. It turns like it is supposed to but it won't lock or unlock the door. I imagine the bar that hooks it all together has come off and needs to be put back on.

James

• 8 years later...

Did you ever figure out/fix the issue? i just recently ran into the same problem. Id like to know what I'm going to have to fix or work on before i start doing anything, just incase i need to hit up the junkyard for replacement pieces.

• 2 months later...

When I got my 92, the lock cylinder for the drivers side door was seized and not functional. I replaced it first thing. 

Spinning is more than likely the plastic clip that holds the rod in place has broken and fallen off within the door. However, if the lock cylinder is broken as mine was, the parts are still available through the dealer.

The locks are a little bit of a challenge to remove, and requires the inside door panel to be removed and requires some simple tools. Considering the age, you should take care to pry off the inner skin. The fiberboard that it is made with is likely deteriorated and the plastic rivets easily pull through if you're not using the correct body panel pry tool (A large screwdriver is not the correct tool). There is a clip that holds the lock cylinder in place and can be removed by tapping it out with a punch or long screwdriver. It's probably covered in some of the various service manuals out there, I don't have one handy to verify. Take care of sharp sheet metal edges. It's been a while since I did this, but I even think I used a pair of channel locks in order to remove it.

Lock cylinders can be found here or at the parts source of your choice, but likely, only via a dealer of some kind: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/1992-nissan-pathfinder/miscellaneous/key_set_blank_key.html?Diagram=998_A01&pnc=80600. I did not see them on Rock Auto.

As is, it's becoming increasingly difficult to get replacement parts for these... my biggest gripe... It is what it is ?