Any one had this happen with trip odometer ?

JackStraw1

This started this winter. When I first start the truck the electronic trip odometer is completely blank. About 3 miles down the road it starts blinking on and off. About 4 miles down the rod it comes on fully and stays on. This happens everyday.

Now, about 2 months back the alternator fried from leaking oil from the valve covers. I had thought that the blinking light was a sign of the alternator failing but it is doing the same thing with the new alternator (yes I tightened the valve cover bolts as best I could but i think the plenum has to come off in better weather to do the job properly) At any rate, there is no oil on the new alternator.

I was using this trip odometer to estimate gas mileage. It seemed to be working despite the "blackout intervals"

Is it just an old and failing LCD or is this a portent of electrical doom ?

It's not unlikely that the solder behind the meter needs attention (reheating). This is fairly common with tachometers. I haven't heard of a digital trip going out but then I don't think they were that common... I doubt it's implying anything about the electrical system.

• Like 1

I have to see a pic of this...an '87 with a digital trip odometer? I've seen them on the '94 model year but nothing else...talking WD21...all the others I've seen are analogue.

I have to see a pic of this...an '87 with a digital trip odometer? I've seen them on the '94 model year but nothing else...talking WD21...all the others I've seen are analogue.

You're right. It is a '94 SE. I'm not sure why it says 87 in my profile. I will correct it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well now that Spring is finally here in NW PA and daytime temps are hitting the 50's, the trip odo is comming on as soon as I start the truck. No more blinking until I'm 4 miles down the road. Definitely seems cold related to me. I was using the trip odo previously to periodically check gas mileage. It was looking like my mileage was getting progressively worse. Last tank I recorded the mileage of the main odo before and after and find that I'm still getting approximately the same mileage (~225 -250 mi/tank).

So heads up to those who may be using the trip odo instead of the main or a GPS to calculate gas mileage.

I've never seen a electric trip odo in any 21. But I suspect that the connections are simply worn.

225-250 miles a tank is horrible btw.

I'd be lucky to get 200 miles on a tank! Hoping that when I change the fuel filter it will be better... $70 fill ups sux......

Edited by enkrypt3d

At 250 miles, I still have 1/4 to go! That's with some pretty spirited driving too.

Anyway... LCDs don't like cold weather and the solder can break but the mechanical odometers aren't problem proof either. My old one stopped working completely because a gear broke in half. I didn't know the electrical ones like to fail too. Go figure!

• 1 month later...

Most of my gauges do not work the rpm gauge is stuck wide open, the speedometer doesn't work some times, fuel gauge will not go over half of a tank, and the temperature gauge takes forever to finally start to move what can i do to fix it

That's several issues in one. I've heard you can take them out and tighten the brass screws that hold them in, and maybe reflow the solder a little where it's old and cracked. Temp gauge, maybe your thermostat's stuck? Gas gauge could be the gauge or it could be the sensor in the tank.