Carb or Propane?

The_Magicians_Eye

Anyone hear of someone changing their VG30 to run off propane? I'm very interested in this but I need info on a mechanical ignition system and who sells a manifold setup to run a 2 barrel carb?

I've seen it done when searching but haven't found any solid leads to getting a manifold and the ignition system. I have a VG30E but I'd like to get rid of anything complicated as far electronics go.

​Does anyone make an adapter for the VG30I manifold? Even if it's a weld on adapter.

my vg30e has run dedicated lpg since 97 it runs really well and cheaply its getting some new updated parts soon new impco 225 converter , gas cpu and connections under our government green energy scheme you can claim up to a grands worth of stuff. the vg seams to be a good candidate for lpg as to the stuff ull need ask an impco distrib for advice there stuff seams to be very durable a few mates run comp gq and gu trucks on impco stuff . mine uses the standard ignition system with the gas primer connected to the starter motor relay also run a marine battery to help with cold mornings

defiantly worth a good look at with all that gas you guys are digging atm :happy:

Edited by fman

SO/OZ Members?

Sorry, late night posting in my twisted brain...

SA= South American

OZ= Austraaaaalian

Both have LPG setups available and I don't think it requires gutting the FI/electronics but I might be wrong. Not available here so I never investigated, but it makes sense to me!

B

I'm trying to get rid of the stock fuel injection setup. This will be for my 95 project "A Tail of Two Sisters" in the hard core fab area. She's going to be a rock buggy type rig and I want to keep things as simple as possible. If something goes wrong on the trail I don't want to be hunting out a possible EFI effecting sensor or something stupid like that. The simpler the better but as you all know carbs suck when dealing with changes in elevation and extreme angles. Yes I know they now have 4x4 carbs but in my opinion they aren't worth the risk. I'd rather just run a simple propane setup from "Got Propane". They have a setup that works with a standard two barrel intake manifold.

So now that I know where to get the intake. I just need info on the ignition system. I see that some of those 510 guys have found some VG30S distributors that work with carbs in the middle east but that was years and years ago from what I'm finding in my searches. And back then it was very hard to find them. I'm wanting to know what my options are now in 2013 and if there are any good options. I guess the issue if the stock VG30E or I is advanced via the ECU. The carb distributor has a vacuum advance on it.

They also have mechanical fuel injection systems, don't know if they will work for this application?

http://www.hilborninjection.com/category.asp?Id=4

Maybe if I was planning on doing some wide open throttle type wheeling lol. Those systems aren't made to work in a 4 wheeling setup or even a city street driving setup. They're designed for race cars that are on the gas hard when it's time to push the gas peddle. That's why it's not common to see these in old school hot rods. Those that have them are doing it for show or actually race the car.

Really cool system though. And they look bad ass lol. This is what you'll find on just about every sprint car. The only exception would be the limited budget sprint car classes that run carbs and lower dollar engines.

Hmm. Would a older 3.0 or 2.8 mechanical distributer work? Or us the guts to convert yours to mechanical?

If not, then might have to find one you can control with a separate ignition box.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...