Tire Carrier from a Pathy to an Xterra

94 Pathy

So, all you fabbing fools.....

Has anyone done or seen someone take a tire carrier off a Pathy, my parts one, '94 & mount it onto an Xterra? Wife is wanting one & I REALLY don't want to crawl undernieth the X to get to the spare if ever needed.

Just curious. Might as well utilize it if I can use it...

My thoughts in this, not having done the swap... Not worth it. Only real reason to mount a spare on the rear of the truck is if it is too big to fit the stock location. People have been complaining forever about crawling around in the mud to lower the spare from underneath the truck. Drive out of the mud hole, change your tire.

What does happen everyday? Moving the tire carrier to put your groceries away. Constant rattling from the carrier...

I'm sure there are many instances offroad where it's very convenient to have the swing out carrier, I just think the cons outweigh the pro's in this case.

I know the Pathy's have the window you can pop open, instead of the whole hatch, but no biggie. I have no rattling ofthe carrier on the Pathy. Never had on both I own. I'm just thinking it would be cheaper this route, instead of buying a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. Will be looking into it & letting people know.

Make some new brackets and it might work. I know foundries will cast things for you, so you could make the shape you need from styrofoam and have it cast in steel or aluminum. You'd still have to make an inside plate for it to bolt to, and add the necessary fittings for the striker. And after all that it would still swing out the wrong way if you park on a curb to load/unload! Still beats crawling under it to get your tire, though.

The linked one looks pretty good, though $900 for a place to put a tire seems a little steep.

I agree with AndyC. Mine doesn't rattle but I hate it being in the way when I need to open the back. Sometimes with a trailer connected I cant open it enough to open the hatch. The only reason it's still there is because I don't want it in the cargo area. If it fit underneath a WD it would still be there.

James

I'd almost go straight for an aftermarket external tire carrier for the X. By the time you have modified and mounted the Pathy version, it's bound to cost a bit and who knows if it looks right. The aftermarket bumper/tire carrier also have the benefit of putting the weight on the bumper/frame instead of on the body.

My thoughts in this, not having done the swap... Not worth it. Only real reason to mount a spare on the rear of the truck is if it is too big to fit the stock location. People have been complaining forever about crawling around in the mud to lower the spare from underneath the truck. Drive out of the mud hole, change your tire.
What does happen everyday? Moving the tire carrier to put your groceries away. Constant rattling from the carrier...
I'm sure there are many instances offroad where it's very convenient to have the swing out carrier, I just think the cons outweigh the pro's in this case.

My carrier opens up quite easily and does not rattle in the slightest so there are no cons to me. I think putting the tire inside is stupid, and underneath is a pain and compromises your clearance, actually putting the tire in danger. An external carrier can also be handy to mount various other things as well.

I haven't towed with the pathy so I don't know how much it can interfere with opening the hatch, but that seems pretty close. I suspect the carrier could easily be modified for maximum clearance. :shrug:

B

• Like 1

My opinion, time/labor/money wise it would probably be better getting something already designed for an X. Don't get me wrong, I'd personally be the one rigging something I could get on the cheap on instead of shelling out the required coin so I don't condemn the idea of it, just remember you need internal bracing as well!

As for pro/con from someone who went from internal to external, my list:

More room in the cargo area +

Blocked window/blind spot area reduced +

Less of my stickers easily viewable -

The added area needed to open the carrier to open the hatch / I can see it as a burden to some but I rairly have to parallel park-if I do with plans of needing to open the rear I leave room and I just pull into parking spots at stores instead I backing in

More external mounting areas for stuff +

More things to grease + to me, not so much to most

Really it's person to person but I consider it a positive I did switch (though I do think sometimes He looked cute and clean without it)

You could always fashion a roof mount setup as an option as well, but climbing up there could suck as well... (Get AAA and make them do it! :lol: )