Do I have ABS?

jdubs12

So how do i tell if i have abs? There was no fuses for it and the bulb was pulled from the dash...ive slammed on the brakes checking for it before and nothing, and then again once i put the fuses in thinking maybe that would make it work..still no. guess i dont have it?

I do have ABS, and have basically never noticed it, even when trying to make it work. You can look and see if you have a speed sensor on your rear diff. It's on the front side, where the driveshaft goes in. If you have wires coming out of there, you should have ABS. It's rear only, FYI.

Edited by sewebster

Or look underneath for a silver thing up against one of the frame rails with brake lines coming from it. (Or look for the computer, should be under the driver's seat with the alarm IIRC). I'm pretty sure all 4x4 Pathfinders have rear ABS.

I've never had mine kick in either.

• 3 weeks later...

My 1993 has ABS on rear breaks only. The speed sensor went out on it a couple of years ago and it will cost me $360 to replace (if I take it in for service0. I think the ABS "switch" is always on now since the light came on and has never gone out. One day I'll fix it. Regardless, I don't specifically about your 95 model but based on mine they made rear-ABS only for awhile.

Basically..... all the WD21 ABS does is keep the rear wheels from locking up. If the system functions properly, when it detects the rear wheels have stopped rotating but the vehicle is still moving, I'm not sure what it cross checks this information with as the front wheels do not have any sensors, it reduces hydraulic pressure to the rear brake line.

Under heavy braking, the 4500 pound pathfinder throws all of its weight to the front and makes the rear tires lock easily, kind of like a pickup, but worse. If the rear wheels lock under extreme braking, you lose control very easily and very suddenly.

The only thing I find weird is that I have never experienced any of the usual "pulsation" that comes with "normal" ABS. Anyone know if the pathy system is different somehow (other than being rear only)?

• 4 weeks later...

It's very different! I think the ABS in the WD21 just reduces pressure, unbeknownst to the driver, to the rear wheels.

Unlike newer 4 wheel ABS that feels like a jack hammer on the brake pedal.