R51 vs R50 Lowering Springs?

overwest

Asked over at NICOclub, but I figured I'd try hunting on here as well.

How's it going folks. Just looking around on the internet for ways to lower my R50 Pathfinder at the moment. I know that 4x4Parts has the lowering springs for $400, and no offense, just seems pretty steep for only 2" of movement ya know? So I was figuring if it would be possible to pick up these Ebay Springs that seem exactly the same for the 2WD R51. I have a 2WD R50, so I was unsure if it would work or not. Also read up on the difference between the two on the rear suspension. Any clarification on the matter would be great.

$(KGrHqN,!jUE9IG(gYRHBPgiOiIWIg~~60_58.J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-LOWERING-SPORT-SPRINGS-SET-NISSAN-PATHFINDER-2WD-MODEL-1-9-F-1-8-R-DROP-/230828177735#vi-content

And there's the set. Thanks in advance.

Follow Up Question: Any other Nissan springs that are compatible? Wondering if a set of 350z Springs would be up to the task, but then again I understand the weight difference between the two.

3Gf3Mb3Lb5Gb5K35M9d1j848eaa79552119ee.jp

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/3557693401.html

Edited by overwest

Why would you lower a pathfinder

His is 2wd, It's either lower it, turn it into a tow rig or lift it and give it really long front control arms for plenty of wheel travel.

• Like 1

look at the front strut of the r50 vs. the r51 there way different. and i know 2in doesn't seem that much but if u look at our pathfinder they don't have that much travel in there struts with 2in lowering u would be experiencing the opposite of what we have when lifting our trucks with 2in lift spring we top out with 2in lowering springs u will bottom out most likely if not your spring rate will be stupid stiff to have to prevent it. anything more than 2in seems like u will have to find a non oe spec strut that can compensate the loss of downward travel properly just my .02 cents

Edited by shoesandsocks

Why would you lower a pathfinder

It's not the popular choice around the off-road crowd but, at least he loves his Pathy like we love ours.

look at the front strut of the r50 vs. the r51 there way different. and i know 2in doesn't seem that much but if u look at our pathfinder they don't have that much travel in there struts with 2in lowering u would be experiencing the opposite of what we have when lifting our trucks with 2in lift spring we top out with 2in lowering springs u will bottom out most likely if not your spring rate will be stupid stiff to have to prevent it. anything more than 2in seems like u will have to find a non oe spec strut that can compensate the loss of downward travel properly just my .02 cents

Well, we experience more lift, minimal at best, running larger diameter tires. The same could be gained (or lost, if you will) running a lower profile tire. However, this would be a push if the OP runs a larger diameter wheel which seems to be the direction of choice the low rider guys are looking for.

His is 2wd, It's either lower it, turn it into a tow rig or lift it and give it really long front control arms for plenty of wheel travel.

Exactly. I have no purpose keeping it up high really.

But thanks for all the input guys, I can see the issue with the tapering of the spring now that a few folks mentioned it. These cheaper springs will probably end up costing me more in the long run since I'll have to replace the strut towers it sounds like (if there is a replacement that is).

So it sounds like I gotta stop being a cheapskate and pay up for the ones over at 4x4parts. I think my plan with that then is to try and tuck some 22's underneath with some negative offset that is flush with the fender flare...not chrome wheels though. Never.

(Honestly I'm scared to see how you folks would react if I posted pictures aha.)

But once again thanks!

Just because we share a general common liking towards our 4x's here don't mean a lot of us don't have other things we enjoy automotive as well (beck even ones I don't personally like I can still appreciate the time and love into them). And you ain't the only reflector collector r50 here anyway :lol: (check WOT off the top of my head and his low build)

• Like 1

Just because we share a general common liking towards our 4x's here don't mean a lot of us don't have other things we enjoy automotive as well (beck even ones I don't personally like I can still appreciate the time and love into them). And you ain't the only reflector collector r50 here anyway :lol: (check WOT off the top of my head and his low build)

Took a look at his profile, man that thing is not bad. Curious to know how he got his claimed 2.75" drop as well. Definitely what I'm trying to aim for. Feeling noobish right now asking where the build thread section is...but I could post up a couple pictures wherever if you're curious ^_^

It's all good man. Back in the late eighties and early nineties I had, not one but, two lowered Chevy Astro vans. One even had only two seats because I had a wall of sub woofers! Sure my right ear has terrible hearing now but, I understand the lowering mind set. Hugging the ground is cool on the pavement.

Took a look at his profile, man that thing is not bad. Curious to know how he got his claimed 2.75" drop as well. Definitely what I'm trying to aim for. Feeling noobish right now asking where the build thread section is...but I could post up a couple pictures wherever if you're curious ^_^

I don't honestly know if WOT has a specific build thread (if that's what you were hunting) but if your looking to make your own or just want to spy other peoples builds for ideas you can incorporate into yours, its the "Members Rides" section which is the bottom choice on the main forum page. Feel free to make one and show yours off!

Asked over at NICOclub, but I figured I'd try hunting on here as well.

How's it going folks. Just looking around on the internet for ways to lower my R50 Pathfinder at the moment. I know that 4x4Parts has the lowering springs for $400, and no offense, just seems pretty steep for only 2" of movement ya know? So I was figuring if it would be possible to pick up these Ebay Springs that seem exactly the same for the 2WD R51. I have a 2WD R50, so I was unsure if it would work or not. Also read up on the difference between the two on the rear suspension. Any clarification on the matter would be great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-LOWERING-SPORT-SPRINGS-SET-NISSAN-PATHFINDER-2WD-MODEL-1-9-F-1-8-R-DROP-/230828177735#vi-content

And there's the set. Thanks in advance.

Cut em.. my rear end was lowered 2" from saggy springs!

We cut the springs on my neighbors corvette and lowered it about 2". (and took a couple leafs out of the rear)

It's all good man. Back in the late eighties and early nineties I had, not one but, two lowered Chevy Astro vans. One even had only two seats because I had a wall of sub woofers! Sure my right ear has terrible hearing now but, I understand the lowering mind set. Hugging the ground is cool on the pavement.

Awwww snap. I had one of those in the school auto shop about a month ago, those stock rims on the Astro's actually look pretty coolio, the meshies with the lip on them. If only those suckers were 6 lug.

I don't honestly know if WOT has a specific build thread (if that's what you were hunting) but if your looking to make your own or just want to spy other peoples builds for ideas you can incorporate into yours, its the "Members Rides" section which is the bottom choice on the main forum page. Feel free to make one and show yours off!

Ahhhh, I see. Yeah I was only about to scoop out his profile picture. Sounds good, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Cut em.. my rear end was lowered 2" from saggy springs!

We cut the springs on my neighbors corvette and lowered it about 2". (and took a couple leafs out of the rear)

Oh lawd. Ahah. I'm unsure if I should go that route because my first car was a 81 TE72 Corolla with cut springs and bump stops, that thing was a shaker. In a bad way. :P