Tires (E) Load rating?

The_Magicians_Eye

Have any of you run tires with this load rating on your Pathfinder? Basically a tire with a max PSI of 80 psi. I'm looking at getting some 16 inch Treadwrights but they only have this load rating available in the size I'm looking at. Worried that even with a lower PSI they might be too stiff. What do you guy think? My truck is heavier than stock and I will be putting a full cage front to back here very soon. Do you think that extra weight will be enough to keep these tires from feeling like I'm driving on stone wheels?

I drive a Ford E250 van with E rated tires for work, it weighs around 5k unloaded. It rides like a stagecoach. I took it to get the oil changed once the guy set the tires at 35 (he paid no attention to the tires or door sticker) and it still rode pretty rough. It doesn't ride decent until its fully loaded with product.

The HD tranny started in 01, not sure how long it went though.

Edited by Trogdor636
  • Like 1

Tell us more about this part bud.. :aok:

I'm buying a tubing bender after I get my taxes back. Planning on doing a ton of work to my ride. New roof rack, cage, full custom interior, new paint and graphics to help promote my business, and new wheels and tires will be the cosmetic part of what will be done. Work to the trans and engine will be done too. No SAS this year. SteveO still hasn't finished the 3 link kit anyway lol.

I'll start a build thread once I start. God willing nothing will get in the way of me completing it before summer comes.

Edited by The_Magicians_Eye

E will be way too stiff even with extra weight. D is already bad. I currently run C rated tires and they are already on the firm point. I would not go over load range C even with extra gear on board.

• Like 1

What no-one has mentioned here is in addition to the stiffness is the weight. I went from D rated tires with steel wheels to C rated with Alloys and holy cow could you feel the difference - in acceleration, braking and handling. Saved ~20lbs a corner. Half was the tires.

Remember unsprung weight is the enemy - even on an offroad truck,.

• Like 1

What no-one has mentioned here is in addition to the stiffness is the weight. I went from D rated tires with steel wheels to C rated with Alloys and holy cow could you feel the difference - in acceleration, braking and handling. Saved ~20lbs a corner. Half was the tires.

Remember unsprung weight is the enemy - even on an offroad truck,.

Very true