95 pathy heat issue

Hatchet

Check the other end of the cable that connects to your control. There's a plastic valve thing under the dash that the cable connects too. The piece that holds the cable in place broke off on mine so it didn't matter how I set the temperature on the lever the actual temperature never changed. It's hard to explain, but if you follow that cable you might find your issue.

yes the temp control, and i will have to look at the cable tomorrow, is it visible to where it goes without having to pull anything apart? im hoping it isnt going to be a nightmare, and i should of had my friend look at all the cables when i had the dash apart, shame on me i guess :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

my pathfinder is having heating issues, the heater core hoses are both hot, but the truck has very minimal heat, any ideas of that this is?

The thermostat is stuck open.

I had to fix this issue last winter on mine.

• 3 years later...

Got an issue that just started myself - 93 w/auto AC system (barf). All of a sudden my AC would blow barely cool air ... just a bit below ambient. I noticed when testing that heat does the same thing - blows barely warmer than ambient. I suspected either the PTC (slider control - not a cable on mine but is a variable resistor) or the blend door - it was behaving as if the blend door was stuck in a middling position, never quite cold nor hot. BTW, it's hot as crap here at the moment.

However, I pulled the ac module and tested the PTC ohms ... a bit erratic, but not shot. I cleaned it up with alcohol and swab and got very clean 0-1000ohms from full cold to full hot like the FSM says. Pulled the glove box and noted that the mix door control motor is actuating when the PTC is slid from hot to cold and back ... and it's hooked to the blend door itself. The range of motion didn't seem like a lot, so I disonnected the motor and manually actuated the blend door from one extreme to the other - full cold gives a few degrees below ambient, and full hot only gives a few degrees above. I can tell it's doing *something*, just not much. WTH? Just had AC pressure checked a few weeks ago - on the nose. Full radiator, t-stat not stuck open (attains op temps and stays there). Also, I noticed the compressor is not cycling. Which might indicate a big loss of charge since a few weeks ago (never had a leak before), but doesn't explain why heat suddenly stopped working at precisely the same time. Will check charge pressure as soon as I can.

Update - charge was fine - a few psi low but not much. Put a bit more in just in case. Made no difference. AC full cold vents blow 79-80 degrees. AC off full heat, it blows about 88 degrees (ambient). Blend door is actuating normally, engine gets to operating temp and stays there, compressor kicks on but doesn't cycle. I'm at my wit's end