strong exhuast smell

rollingrock

Hey folks

while working on my rig the garage (with doors open) I had to idle it up to play with a few things, there is a strong smell of exhaust in the air, must more so than even my 2006 Power Stroke Deisel.

I am totally new to the Nissan world and the previous owner told me that he said an injector was sticking...could that be what is producing this strong oder?

Thanks

RR

(BTW, I know I have hit the site hard wtih lots of questions, hang with me here, i am learning)

Had it warmed up? You have a heated O2 sensor, so things generally have to be hot to run efficiently. You can check the ECU for fault codes though... (Garage/How To section).

Yes, an injector could do that. Try an injector cleaner additive...

B

You can check the operation of the injectors with a long screwdriver. With the engine running, touch the tip to the injector and hold the handle by your ear. If the injector's working right, you should hear clicking.

If it's running okay, maybe check the exhaust system. Mine was leaking like crazy. The pipes themselves rot and the studs that hold the headers on fail and cause more leaks.

• Like 1

Hey folks

while working on my rig the garage (with doors open) I had to idle it up to play with a few things, there is a strong smell of exhaust in the air, must more so than even my 2006 Power Stroke Deisel.

I am totally new to the Nissan world and the previous owner told me that he said an injector was sticking...could that be what is producing this strong oder?

Thanks

RR

(BTW, I know I have hit the site hard wtih lots of questions, hang with me here, i am learning)

Mine was also smelling pretty badly at one point...ended up being the exhaust piping (pre cat) that heads up to the engine was starting to rot. Its not an easy place to check but that might be it. Hope you find the source of your problem...Cheers