Noob here.don't own a PF yet....

rollingrock

Hello folks

While I don't own a Patherfinder...I am trying to buy one and I have a few questions I could use some help with.

Subject is a 1993 Pathfinder SE 4x4 170k miles. rebuilt tranny at 160K, not sure about timing belt but has new radiator too. (Prob due for timing belt)

Truck feels a squishy and has some rattles, not a big deal but prob needs new shocks. It is an SE, has a button for Touring and Sport...can I make this work again our should I just put some Rancho 9000's on this and be done?

Seat heater on drivers side doesn't work passenger side does...strange.

I think it needs a lift, prob just a 2" or 3" body lift.

One CV boot looks really greassy, not big deal.

Any other gotchas I should look for? the guy wants 3K for the truck, I want to offer him 2700.00

I want to use as a daily driver to my miles off my King Ranch F250 but also use at the ranch and hunting lease.

Could use some help here. Thanks

RR

Howdy Noob, and welcome to NPORA!

A pathy, especially a WD21 (1995 and earlier) would be a good choice for what you are looking for. A 1993 with rebuilt tranny and 170k for $3k might be steep, but I don't know the availability down there. Here is a thread to look at, but beware frame rust, auto trannys that dont work right and timing issues. FYI a 1993 will have either a 60k or a 105k mile timing belt change interval, the 105k is later in the year.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/19042-pathfinder-common-problemsfixes-read-this-first/

B

Howdy Noob, and welcome to NPORA!

A pathy, especially a WD21 (1995 and earlier) would be a good choice for what you are looking for. A 1993 with rebuilt tranny and 170k for $3k might be steep, but I don't know the availability down there. Here is a thread to look at, but beware frame rust, auto trannys that dont work right and timing issues. FYI a 1993 will have either a 60k or a 105k mile timing belt change interval, the 105k is later in the year.

http://www.nissanpat...ead-this-first/

B

Thanks P1....i don't know enough about Nissan to tell you what build date etc...and I don't have the truck here. this truck is a 2 owner...I would be 3, the 2nd and current owner has only had it for 5 months. Momma is making him sell it b.c he bought another car...he is a used car sales manager at a Nissan dealership and knows the orginal owner...all work performed at this dealership. Oh it has a new radiotor on it too but again, no one can tell me if they changed the timing belts....so that would be 2nd on my list...

I may offer him 2500 for it...they are kind of hard to find around here. As for rust, I went under it...it looks like they used a lot of hyper dression on the undercarraige. It's really clean. Only rust I saw was on an aftermarket exhuast that was split into 2 after the cat. Seems odd to me and sounds really agressive, I would change that back to something more stock and tame as I want to hunt in this too. No need to tell all the critters I am coming down the trail.

The truck felt squishy to me, I drove a 99 also today and it was super firm...so I am suspecting it needs new shocks all the way around...

The "sport/tour" button did nothing. I don't know how to make that work with non OE shocks.

The "squishy" is probably the stock shocks. If you look at the shock you should see a wire loom running to each shock if it still has the OEM adjustables. I just threw mine in the trash and put some Pro Comps on it. Don't worry about the switch, just make sure you tape off the wires to the shocks if you do disconnect them.

From the way you describe it you can get a lot more bang for your buck...rebuilt transmission means he had the classic rad problem that gets pretty much all Nissan trucks (new and old) unless you throw on an axillary transmission cooler. Seeing that you are from Texas I would look more in your own backyard or Arizona...I'm sure you will find something that was better kept.

The "squishy" is probably the stock shocks. If you look at the shock you should see a wire loom running to each shock if it still has the OEM adjustables. I just threw mine in the trash and put some Pro Comps on it. Don't worry about the switch, just make sure you tape off the wires to the shocks if you do disconnect them.

Is it worth getting another set of OEM and having that feature? Or Bilsten 5100's or Rancho 9000XL's?

BTW is the front shocks or a strut on an 93? Hard to tell.

It wasn't worth it to me. They are still available from the dealer, but if I recall they are pretty expensive, probably about the same the 9000's would run. Your 93 is a IFS with shocks, 96 is when struts started. If you plan on lifting it make sure to get longer rear shocks, your front shock length won't change so stock size is fine.

It wasn't worth it to me. They are still available from the dealer, but if I recall they are pretty expensive, probably about the same the 9000's would run. Your 93 is a IFS with shocks, 96 is when struts started. If you plan on lifting it make sure to get longer rear shocks, your front shock length won't change so stock size is fine.

thanks, I made the owner an offer 2200....I am hopefull he takes it. He if he goes to 2700 I would pull the trigger. I do want to a body lift to get a tad more ground clearance. Prob just a 2" or maybe a 3".

Kits seem to be pretty resonable. I do know he said it has one bad injector...so I will be watching that.

RR

Body lift won't require longer shocks. Only a suspension lift. Sorry should of clarified that. Good luck hopefully he takes the offer!

Roger that. Thanks for the info....anyone suggest an "easy to do" kit for the body lift?

body lift doesnt give more ground clearance...? It just take the body up higher. the frame still remains down low. suspension lift gives you a higher ground clearance under neath. unless you just want the body up high.

• Like 1

body lift doesnt give more ground clearance...? It just take the body up higher. the frame still remains down low. suspension lift gives you a higher ground clearance under neath. unless you just want the body up high.

Good point, thanks for the clarification. I will prob need a 2" lift. I have to admit...this isn't my area of lingo....I drive a modified F250. Its a terrible 4x4 hunting truck but it pulls our 5er like a shadow. That is why I am trying to get this this Pathfinder. I got a few roads on the ranch where our Larados and Jeeps can go but I need a little ground clearnace to make it. The Pathfinder is a tad low to make it. A few off camber dips.

Open for suggestions.

Good point, thanks for the clarification. I will prob need a 2" lift. I have to admit...this isn't my area of lingo....I drive a modified F250. Its a terrible 4x4 hunting truck but it pulls our 5er like a shadow. That is why I am trying to get this this Pathfinder. I got a few roads on the ranch where our Larados and Jeeps can go but I need a little ground clearnace to make it. The Pathfinder is a tad low to make it. A few off camber dips.

Open for suggestions.

Add some Body Armour to your list from the sounds of your off road needs. Having contemplated this type of modification, based on others experiences, you might want to start with under body armour and a suspension lift. Unless you are planning on going larger than 31's with your tires you don't need to lift the body...like Kyle94 stated...it won't add ground clearance to your ride.

Suspension lift...you can find a lot of postings here on how to do it with brand new kits like you can find on 4x4parts.com (they have an interesting kit that has new UCAs (supposedly corrects the articulation angle) and rear coils to give you about 2.5-3 inches. Search - Pathfinder Custom Suspension lift. You can also achieve the same results with finding a set of front coils from a JGC and some Ford pick-up models as replacements for the rear coils...check here in the forums and you will see what others have done.

Best of luck...Cheers

Well, he might come back with a counter offer if you left him your number. Otherwise, keep looking and something will turn up. I'm pretty sure you'll like the WD21 for your hunting rig, they are pretty stout and capable in stock form or with a little modification. JamesRich in La bought one and set it up for hunting also, IFAIK he really likes it.

B

..he is a used car sales manager at a Nissan dealership and knows the orginal owner...all work performed at this dealership.

If all work was performed at the dealership. they should have it on record.

as others have said check for frame rust, I think the worst area is above the rear axle. I could add more but it's pretty much been said above.

Oh welcome aboard it's a pretty knowedgable group here :D

well the guy rejected my 2200 offer. Said he was going to keep it.

He is just playing me. But I am ok to walk.

I guess the search still goes on.

Walk away...lol. You are in a great part of the country to find one that was a grocery getter and then have the fun of working on something of value. I personally would have walked away when he said he had the transmission rebuilt.

To give you an idea I got my '95 with 240k kms (kms are actually lower since it was one of the '95s that got recalled and got a new engine at 50k kms) for $750 and added about $2k in work (replaced all the fluids, timing belt, brakes, shocks)...the upside of doing it this way is you know the work has been done and no need to trust anybody's word and you will have peace of mind knowing its been properly done.

Bottom line...these are great trucks (this is now my 4th WD21) but they have a few serious design flaws that if compromised you will just be throwing money away. Keep searching you will find something better I'm sure of it. Cheers

Thanks folks and thanks for the welcome here. He did counter offer at 2750 but still it needs 1000.00 upfront of work.

So I have decided to save up more and buy a newer one. I am looking at both 4Runners and Pathfinders...I like the 4Runners bc they have more ground clearance at stock over the pathfinders but I like the pathfinders for the easier to work on engines.

Thoughts?

Pathfinder. They are similar, but I would much rather have the VG30 motor in the Pathy. I believe that in stock form the Pathfinder is better off road (other than the weak front centerlink). Also for a comparable vehicle the toyota will normally cost you about %50 more.

B

• Like 1

Pathfinder. They are similar, but I would much rather have the VG30 motor in the Pathy. I believe that in stock form the Pathfinder is better off road (other than the weak front centerlink). Also for a comparable vehicle the toyota will normally cost you about %50 more.

B

was thinking 96-2000 same for 4Runners.