fuel gauge

GSeijo

Today I went to college, everything was ok, I parked, went to class, when I go back to the pathy I noticed the fuel gauge was marking empty :blink::scratchhead: ( empty as in the red indicator was like 1/4 inch lower from the empty line). I know I had almost 1/4 tank left so I drove home. When I got home I got underneath the pathy to check if it was leaking or something but everything seem normal. I don't know almost anything about fuel systems so any sugestions will do. Thanks guys.

Mine does the same thing. I think it's pretty common. I believe that the sensor in the tank goes out over time. It's this little resistive gauge that operates on a float, then sends the signal to the cluster. I priced one out from Nissan and they were around $200. I think I'll see if I can just install some sort of an aftermarket gauge, and forget what the indash gauge says.

I'm sure someone else on here might have some better suggestions though.

• Like 2

Mine's been tweaking a little too. Towards the end of my last tank it would vary between 1/4 tank and maybe 1/16th seemingly at random. Halfway through a tank it can never decide which side of the halfway point I'm at. It's... special.

I think the conventional 'gas gauge don't work' workaround is to remember how many miles you typically get on a tank, then set your trip meter.

You might check the wires coming out of the tank, they're easy enough to get to (hatch under the back carpet with the fuel pump IIRC) and if they're corroded, that might be your problem.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I've noticed both senders in my sentra and the Pathfinder seem to read low, the sentra is worse about a 1/4" lower than it actually is. It's possible the float in the tank may have a hole and fuel has gotten into to it causing it to sit lower than it should, or the sender itself can just be worn out. One day I'll pull the whole unit out of the tank to check it.

sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for the comments. Two days ago I was driving, filled up the tank and it didnt mark anything until like 30 minutes after that it started going up, since then it's been work fine so I'll leave it like that and see if it gets bipolar again haha.

this is what I'm looking at doing.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/electric-fuel-level-gauge-p-5693.html

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/fuel-level-sender-p-1487.html

Cheaper than getting the sender from Nissan. I'm sure there's other vendors out there that can get the same sort of thing.