Headlights

WxChaser

I'd use them quite often, but need them most while driving through inclement weather.

Depending on your budget you can go with the Hella 500 or 1000 series. The best thing about Hella is if anything brakes you send them a letter and mail them back. You will then receive an upgraded set of lights back from them with their apologies in the mail.

If you plan to use them in city limits then you will get the most use out of a fog pattern. Not sure what part of the US you are from but if you get a lot of snowy conditions you can go with a Yellow lends to avoid reflection. If you are doing a lot of country roads where you have ditches and little oncoming traffic you can go with a Euro Beam to give you some Fog and Driving light dynamics to your light patch.

Personally, I love the new LED light bars available but have not seen any deals for them yet. Probably in a year's time we will start to see them come down in price. I got my set of Hella 500s online for $60 CDN brand new in the box on a public listings site from someone that sold their truck and never installed them. You can check eBay but also visit your local stores since eBay isn't the best any more for car parts...you really have to do your research first. Good luck

I got a set of HIDs KC's floods lights on my brush guard and they are hella bright!!! Retail they go for over $1k but I got them on eBay on bid(lucky me) for $150. I was going crazy when I won! Haha best $150 I ever spend!!!

I got a set of HIDs KC's floods lights on my brush guard and they are hella bright!!! Retail they go for over $1k but I got them on eBay on bid(lucky me) for $150. I was going crazy when I won! Haha best $150 I ever spend!!!

Nice ;) Nice186...good score...post some pics when you can...would love to see what they look like on your truck. Cheers

• Like 1

LEDs are the best head light technology available right now but crazy expensive. Honda has started to use LED light technology on their new Accords.

HIDs are fine for cars but are not very good on harsher riding off-road vehicles. They can go out and take up to 10 seconds to re-ignite if you are doing heavy wheeling or run something over at night. They can also over expose the area of the road making it harder to see around you although if they are 55 watt halogen equivalent you don't really have that issue. The main problem with HIDs is they require special HID housings and ignition ballasts to drive them. The best advantage to HIDs is that they are very low watt with high energy efficiency. They don't need heavy gauge wiring to be bright.

Halogens are fine. The problems with them are housing designs and power. Not all halogen housings are created equal. Also halogens are not as efficient but they are extremely reliable and cheap as a bag of chips to swap out. If you go to the hardbody style grille with H4 lights in 200mm housings you can actually replace the bulbs for as little as $5 a bulb and it will give you a 55 watt low beam and 60 watt high beam.

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=27450C

I think they look dog ugly, but I want a pair! the beam pattern is so much better than an HID or a projector.

353058d1330263148-truck-lites-new-led-headlamp-series-patternsagainstwall.jpg

345789d1329150619-truck-lites-new-led-headlamp-series-7roundcomparison.jpg

Such a nice light pattern...really turning Night into Day...thanks for the post...I know what I have to add to my wish list. I wasn't going to do it but its just too tempting.

• Like 1

Yep LEDs are very nice and the best part is you can get them in the standard 200mm size. They are superior to HIDs because they don't need igniters and they won't go out when you are wheeling. Remember HIDs are not a coil like a regular bulb, they are much like spark plugs where there is a beam of energy being discharged all the time. I am curious to see how those KCs perform off-road if they are true HIDs.

Just read the first post again, something to keep in mind, there's a difference between a brush guard and a deer guard. A brush guard hit with a deer can end up doing more damage to the front end than just the deer would've.

that's true for any bolt on 'guard', they are pretty much an oversized light mounting point that give an 'agressive' look. A purpose built bumper with a properly integrated protection hoop will protect (to an extent) where a bolt on guard will cause more harm than good as they have a tendency to fold in at the top even if hit lower due to their mounting design (as seen from plenty of first hand experience at accident scenes,and will admit to having seen hands on at SLOW speeds them actually protect which I was even a victim of being hit in a parking lot once by a parking space cutter who ran into my little dorky guard I had on my HB-though it was braced from behind the bumper slightly overkill) and light bumps that could have just been a bumper turned into a bumper+fender+hood+lights etc over headlight hoops. If you want true front end protection, get actual armor, not something you can walk out the door of Pep Boys with.

now that I went off topic...

• Like 1

wow idk what to say to that guys haha i feel like i been smacked multi times. first off i dont see deer by me, second yes i got it for looks, third i would love a full armor but that cost $$$ and im a full time student so thats not gonna happen anytime soon and lastly i got this "brush guard" for $20... couldnt say no to that!

and now back on topic

I am curious to see how those KCs perform off-road if they are true HIDs.

from me going to the sand pit they didnt flicker or turn off but this was pretty light offroading

Didn't say "the look" was a bad thing. Traffic intimidation making someone think twice about cutting off the "big mean looking front end" can pay for itself without you ever knowing :aok:

• Like 1

Yep people will be scared of taking sharp metal like that through their car. :lol:

I think it's fine for what it is. Best of both worlds where it's stronger than the tin foil bumper special but light enough to carry around. Bracing it to the bumper mounts is actually a very good idea too.

You should only buy an off-road bumper if you really need it. If you have dents in your factory bumper from wheeling, you probably do. Otherwise it's just a heavy boat anchor at the front.

• Like 1

Didn't say "the look" was a bad thing. Traffic intimidation making someone think twice about cutting off the "big mean looking front end" can pay for itself without you ever knowing :aok:

True that brotha!!!! haha

Yep people will be scared of taking sharp metal like that through their car. :lol:

I think it's fine for what it is. Best of both worlds where it's stronger than the tin foil bumper special but light enough to carry around. Bracing it to the bumper mounts is actually a very good idea too.

You should only buy an off-road bumper if you really need it. If you have dents in your factory bumper from wheeling, you probably do. Otherwise it's just a heavy boat anchor at the front.

And yes the front is pretty heavy but the thing you guys can't see nor could even tell is that I replaced the two( now three, third is on the bottom can't see in my photo) pipes from the stock heavy metal it was, to aluminum pipes... now I know someone is gonna say "well whats the point of that? Now its weaker!" My answer to that is... well, Im not gonna go drive into a car just for the fun of it lol. I dont plan on crashing anytime soon but if I do and it happens to be a car, first thing that would happen is i would probably run over it! haha

Exactly why our R50 has the center of a brush guard on it. It's totally un-reinforced and made of aluminum so it's useless if not a liability, but people generally look twice and by then it's usually not an issue anymore. The rest of the time, I wish I was driving the WD21 with the winch bumper that I could play bumper cars in and not worry...

B

Good thoughts on the brush guards involving hitting deer and whatnot. Would bolting it to the bottom (where it initially bolts on at) and also at the bumper mounts make it strong enough to sustain a collision? Along with another poster on this forum, I'm also a student and can't afford to put a massive armored bumper on the front (though I'd love to get an ARB put on... how crazy of a junkyard prize would that be???)

Thanks for all of the input thus far!