Excessive heat by pedals?

iPath

I was taking a drive today when I started to notice my feet feeling warm, I put my hand down by the pedals and found there was a rush of hot air coming from the area, except hotter than heater air would ever be. When I got home I tried poking around with a flashlight but couldn't find anything. I assume there is a vent there, isn't there a foot setting? Is it possible it is stuck open somehow? The heat was turned off and I noticed the air flow only when driving, when I was parked in my driveway the heat had gone away. Thoughts?

Feel carefully around the transmission tunnel on both sides after driving, is it excessively hot? What is the color and smell of the transmission fluid?

Check for exhaust leaks too, if there is one it could be venting hot exhaust near the floor area where your feet are.

Do you have automatic HVAC controls?

My trans runs really hot (oil is good color & no smell of burning) the center console gets pretty warm with the heat coming up from the tranny. Maybe it's air from the center drive shaft tunnel getting in, if you can't smell exhaust fumes it's probably that.

• Like 1

WD21's have this problem, and it usually ends up being the pre-cat. (lots of carpet fires have been documented) R50's have the cats built in to the exhaust manifolds, which just happens to be right at the foot well where the pedals are. Maybe your cat is going bad and blocking flow causing excessive heat?

before I removed the precat on my wd21, I used an IR heat gun and saw temps off the scale, 999+ degrees at the inlet.

I think I should clarify, it is not conduction heat there is an actual blowing of hot air into the cabin but only while moving. This seems like it would most likely be a malfunctioning vent?

• 4 years later...

I have this issue as well. Not sure what it is, if I can't figure it out is there anything to worry about other than annoyance? I have no problems showing up on the dash so I just kind of let it go both times it happened...doesn't happen consistently either.