New Vehicle Technology

Precise1

Some of the technologies out there are really coming to light, especially with advances in the material science and batteries/photovoltaic fields. I've ridden motorcycles for most of my life and they are perfect vehicles for such advances. Here are two different spectrums I have run across, both being impressive. I wonder, it there a place for a hybrid electric/compressed air motorcycle? Electric for low speed maneuvers with the CA kicking in for top end response? :shrug:

Here is an electric motorcycle that is worth checking out.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/specs.php

Here is the general website to see what suits you, they have quite a few.

www.zeromotorcycles.com

The other side to it all, the compressed air motorcycle.

http://www.gizmag.com/compressed-air-motorcycle/20354/

I'm looking to see what it takes to buy a motor...

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3185/

I'm not some idiot that things we have to (or can) get rid of gas motors, just only use them when appropriate. Gasoline or diesel as fuel can not be readily replaced in many applications, but the dependency can certainly be reduced (making it cheaper!). Hell, they are making hybrid heavy equipment as it proves to be more powerful/efficient. There is plenty of tech out there that takes care of daily needs far cheaper and cleaner than gasoline so why not embrace them when appropriate?

Two arguments I will counter to begin with:

1) The energy for the electric bike has to come from existing power supplies so it in not 'clean energy'.

I disagree, mainly due to solar energy. It's never going to be perfectly clean, but 200watt/11amp portable solar panel kits can be had for $1k and those will store a lot of energy in a battery bank regardless if you are using it or not.

2) Compressed air takes a lot of energy and special equipment.

Yes, a 'filling station' would need a special compressor but that is about it. See above about easy renewable energy sources, but realize this: That is all that is needed. No supplies or material requirements what so ever other than a compressor, the power to run it, and air. No trucking in of gas, no running the tanks dry, no flooding of the tanks. Power, compressor and air. Think about how many (small) vehicles would be running around the east coast right now because compressed air wasn't hard to get...

Just some things I've been looking at as I look for something worth working towards.

B

The electric bike would be a cool alternative. My usual ride to work and back is easily within its range. It wouldn't work for what I love my bike the most for though, joy riding for stress relief! I don't get to do it much but I like to hop on my bike, join a few friends and roll to the next state. Eat lunch at some small town cafe and then head back home on every back road we can find.

The thing that worries me with any electric vehicle is the batteries. How long will it last? How much will a replacement cost? How hard will it be to find a replacement? Then the electric motor. Will it last 100K miles like most gas motors? The maintenance will be much easier on an electric vehicle that's for sure!

The compressed air bike looks a lot more compact and lighter but I just don't see getting a lot of range or power from an air motor.

James

Hey B that compressed air bike looks awesome and 62 mph aint to shabby.As you and I know thats flying on dirt track.I also being originally from california grew up riding dirt bikes 250 yamaha's up to the 4-stroke single TT 500.Then I graduated to A 350 rd road racer.750 yam and eventually a Harley shovelhead.So I hear what you're saying.The future is looking brighter so we all should invest in some shades.Jack in IOWA. I know I'm out there. :goodpost::itsallgood:

I thought I made it clear I wasn't talking about ditching the ICE, just not dumping gas in everything from a weed wacker to a dump truck. :nono:

How about using ICE only when it's advantges shine and using other technology for the other applications. Do you have any idea what it would mean if we could easily produce enough oil/gas/diesel to not require foreign oil? This should be one of the top goals of the nation...

The electric bike would be a cool alternative. My usual ride to work and back is easily within its range. It wouldn't work for what I love my bike the most for though, joy riding for stress relief! I don't get to do it much but I like to hop on my bike, join a few friends and roll to the next state. Eat lunch at some small town cafe and then head back home on every back road we can find.

The thing that worries me with any electric vehicle is the batteries. How long will it last? How much will a replacement cost? How hard will it be to find a replacement? Then the electric motor. Will it last 100K miles like most gas motors? The maintenance will be much easier on an electric vehicle that's for sure!

The compressed air bike looks a lot more compact and lighter but I just don't see getting a lot of range or power from an air motor.

James

I agree, it doesn't have the range to go touring but that's not what it is intended for. I've had enduros and they aren't much fun on the highway for more than 20 miles. But for commuting and or city living, the range is more than enough! I don't have the specs on the CA bike yet, but it has it's place too. You know all of those Rhino LP canister cages outside of most stores, well, they could easily have CA tanks as well... ;)

There's not a lot to go wrong with an electric motor. The challenge is going to be finding batteries that don't weigh a ton, charge quickly, and don't cost a fortune to replace.

Well, in the case of the Zero, they claim to have answered that question. The lower powered model isn't 300lbs, and the higher powered one is 347. IIRC my 1994 Honda XR650L weighed in a 329 dry so they have already met the weight range. Also, they claim the battery is 'lifetime', 200k or 300k depending on which version...

Estimated pack life to 80% (city)zmtip-trans.png 203,000 miles (326,000 km) 302,000 miles (487,000 km)

B

I watch MotoGP at Laguna Seca every year, and they've been running a International electric bike championship... http://www.egrandprix.com/ Its amazing how fast they are.
Hey B that compressed air bike looks awesome and 62 mph aint to shabby.As you and I know thats flying on dirt track.I also being originally from california grew up riding dirt bikes 250 yamaha's up to the 4-stroke single TT 500.Then I graduated to A 350 rd road racer.750 yam and eventually a Harley shovelhead.So I hear what you're saying.The future is looking brighter so we all should invest in some shades.Jack in IOWA. I know I'm out there. :goodpost::itsallgood:

I hear you Bud, but I've hit 100 in the dirt. No thank you, not again. My old XR650L hauled arse!

I've owned everything from a 80cc 2 stroke dirtbike to a CBR1100XX and believe every bike has is place or rider. I'd love to take that CA bike out for a spin!! I'm really curious about how much power it has and what it feels like.

Yeah, you are out there... in Iowa. :D

I watch MotoGP at Laguna Seca every year, and they've been running a International electric bike championship... http://www.egrandprix.com/ Its amazing how fast they are.

I do know they have been running E-bike races for years now but I haven't followed it much yet. I hope to have more time next year... :shrug:

B

The battery technologies are only improving. I converted a recumbent tricycle to electric two years ago now. The LiFePo4 batteries were getting good reviews at the time. I went with the slightly less safe LiPo batteries, building a 30a/h 44.4V battery out of 12 smaller packs.

I don't see why a modern brushless motor wouldn't last 100k or more. I've only seen them break on the endless-sphere forums when people over-volt the crap out of them with larger than recommended controllers! Short of that, the bearings are the only real contact points in the motor. You also greatly simplify the transmission, as electric motors are most efficient @ high rpms.

I'd love to find a dirt bike frame and convert it over to electric, but I don't have the funds or the time for such a thing!

The guys over here however, do. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=bb94f4221f1948858d41e04e9bdffc3a

I know some of the remote control car guys have made bicycle conversions. There are some giant RC motors available these days, and light and powerful batteries. One I saw just used a small ammo box mounted on the handle bars for the batteries and speed control unit. He had a video posted (I'll see if I can find it) and it put out a good deal of power/ speed.