Difficult to Start and Rough Idle

4x4white03

Have a nice long story, but will stick with the specifics:

A month of so ago, the Pathy was difficult to start and would idle really rough for a few minutes, gas mileage was affected. It eventually gave me a CEL code was misfire cyl #1. Replaced the spark plug and coil, ran fine for a few weeks no more CEL. Now on and off the Pathy is difficult to start again, really rough idle, but no CEL. I have also changed the fuel filter, but with no results. It only happens every now and then..... any ideas or things to check?

So it's hard to start, doesn't run well, then clears up? Sounds like moisture somewhere, burning off once the truck's warmed up. If this was a VG engine I'd say dizzy, but I don't think the VQ actually has one. :scratchhead:

Edited by Slartibartfast

It will happen all times of the day and I can have a fine start, cut it off and have a starting issue again..... this time gas mileage seems unaffected, it's just the starting issue and rough idle. I originally thought I had water in the fuel, ran some seafoam through it and have been through a few tanks since.

Oh, and it is distributorless and uses individual coil packs instead of wires.

Edited by 4x4white03

Ok, checked for codes..... none. Checked the crank, cam, and coolant sensors.... all check good. When it decides it doesn't want to start (which is now happeneing more frequently) the only way I get it to start is stand on the gas. Could I be missing something from the fuel side??

Mine had starting issues a while back that ended up being a gunked up fuel pump. I ran it real low (the light was on for, like, three days of commuting) and then sloshed the fuel around, which apparently got some crud into the pump. It wouldn't start unless you floored it, and it would run like absolute crap if you did. We didn't keep it running long enough to see if it evened out. A shop cleaned out the fuel pump, and it's run like a top since. I think it was somewhere around $100 including diagnosis, but you could probably do it yourself. Again this doesn't explain how it would start running properly after a while... maybe check the wiring to the pump first, maybe there's crud built up and it's holding water?

Wouldn't hurt to check your fuel filter too.

Ethanol in gas prevents most cases of water in the fuel. Also swap the fuel pump relay with another of the same color, maybe fog light or A/C relay. Could be a faulty relay.

Edited by Towncivilian

Thanks everyone for the replies. I changed the fuel filter about a month ago, and didn't get any noticable improvement. I have run some Seafoam through it and some alcohol and didn't see any difference either. I will check the fuel pump this weekend and see if that turns anything up....