Manual Trans No reverse?

r3mDollz

Having only been able to find info about the auto trans failing in reverse I'm stuck trying to find any answers.

Bit of background, its a 1990 5 speed diesel td27 engine, done around 240k and never had any issues with any of the gears, new clutch slave cylinder about 210k. I parked her in the carport for about 2 weeks till my snorkel and body lift arrived, went to back her out to start work and no reverse. Can't even engage reverse at all, its like it has been locked out? I can shift into all 5 of the other gears without any problems just not reverse? any help is greatly appreciated!

cheers

nick

Did you extend your shifter lever. I think after a 3"body lift it needs to be extended or the body needs to be trimmed so it can function properly or was that the 4x4 selector?

Have you pushed it back a bit and then tried again? Otherwise, I might think to pull the shifter out and have a look down in there to see if something looks wrong. Of course it maybe be hard to tell if not sure what you are looking at.

With my manual, it was always a bit stiff going into reverse if I didn't align things first, meaning I'd shift into 5th first and than into reverse. This is a trick from older cars and always seemsed to help so hopefully it is that simple. Other than that, rock it as Andreus said. :shrug:

B

• Like 1

Have you pushed it back a bit and then tried again? Otherwise, I might think to pull the shifter out and have a look down in there to see if something looks wrong. Of course it maybe be hard to tell if not sure what you are looking at.

thanks for the replies, ill have a crack tomorrow giving her a push back. if i did open her up i would have no idea what to look for :S never really had the chance to learn about gear box's :headwall:

With my manual, it was always a bit stiff going into reverse if I didn't align things first, meaning I'd shift into 5th first and than into reverse. This is a trick from older cars and always seemsed to help so hopefully it is that simple. Other than that, rock it as Andreus said. :shrug:

B

I tried to shuffle through all the gears then into reverse, then just 5 into reverse 4 ect. even tried in 2low and 4low no luck :( called my mate and he seems to think it might be the synchronising gears? i take it they would be pretty difficult to fix?

Strange that it suddenly stopped working after it was parked for a bit though. Don't feel bad, not everyone goes rummaging through transmissions.

Well, difficult and a lot of work are two different things. I don't believe changing the syncros to be especially difficlut, but it requires removal and disassembly of the tranny which is a lot of time. I haven't disassembled a pathy tranny so I can't advise further.

B

Is reverse even synchronized? I've always thought, even in modern (1990's) manual transmissions that first and reverse were not synchronized to avoid an accidental shift in to the wrong gear at speed. I've found in my 200SX that sometimes reverse won't engage all the way, but it will sink in if I slowly let the clutch out. Try double clutching in to reverse after you've had it in 5th?

Edited by silverton

Actually, I believe you are right about that (for what ever reason), also that they are straight cut which is why you get the reverse whine if you go any speed. I know what you are saying, I can't help but feel something is just stuck or unable to mesh.

Ok, I had to look. Page MT12 of the 1995 FSM shows 1&2 syncro, 3&4 syncro and OD(5th)&reverse syncro. Reverse is straight cut though. :shrug:

B

Looking at the exploded view of the FS5W71C in my 200SX, there only appears to be synchronizers on 1-4th.

Correction, there is a synchronizer on 5th gear after taking a closer look, but there definitely isn't one on the reverse gear. and that's comparing it side-by-side to the FS5W71C that's in the 95 WD21 FSM, the transmission in my 200SX is a 1987 model year. Dunno when they added the synchronizer to Reverse, but maybe it's a truck thing?

Edited by silverton

Sometimes letting the clutch out partially and slowly will allow it to fall into gear. So, try keeping a little pressure in the gear selector, then letting the clutch out a bit.

Alrighty, so yesterday myself and my old man had a crack at fixing the problem. Firstly we tried just rocking the car back and fourth in neutral and in second... no luck, we then pushed her back about 2 m tried again.. no luck. Got the old man's territory and towed her out of the garage and went for a drive down the road and back... no luck. Still just completely locked out!

There this really weird noise coming from the gearbox when it was in neutral and its making me think i don't really have a choice but to get a replacement or get mine rebuilt? I was hoping since it just stopped working as it was parked up for a couple of weeks that something just wasn't alined, thinking I might be wrong :(

ill chuck up a video of the noise.

EDIT:

http://imageshack.us...tuchjuierv.mp4/

EDIT:

would I be correct in saying that I have the FS5X71C gearbox?

Edited by r3mDollz

so you can get the shifter into reverse but the truck won't move at all?

I would start with the easiest thing to do and pull the shifter, make sure the end of the shifter looks ok and down inside the area where the shifter goes.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Sounds like a Forks bent. As how it got bent sitting still I have no idea.

I have no idea about nissan 5 speeds but on older toyotas I notice that they get very sloppy from non greased factory bushings for the linkage (side loaders)

I seem to remember someone having to replace the plastic cup the shifter sits in, so perhaps you simply aren't getting the proper postion or throw.

I'm sorry, I don't know which tranny the diesels have. I'll try to look it up later.

B

ok, so i had a bit of a play around today, drained the gearbox oil and found this!

photo9ve.jpg

photo7cg.jpg

so you can get the shifter into reverse but the truck won't move at all?

I would start with the easiest thing to do and pull the shifter, make sure the end of the shifter looks ok and down inside the area where the shifter goes.

The car won't actually engage reverse at all, like something is blocking it?

this bit?

photo10fjd.jpg

thats what i originally suspected but all seemed ok to me? just to be sure we tried to engage reverse with a bar and the shifter out and still no luck

Sounds like a Forks bent. As how it got bent sitting still I have no idea.

I have no idea about nissan 5 speeds but on older toyotas I notice that they get very sloppy from non greased factory bushings for the linkage (side loaders)

would that be an issue that would be resolved via a rebuild or just a service?

I seem to remember someone having to replace the plastic cup the shifter sits in, so perhaps you simply aren't getting the proper postion or throw.

I'm sorry, I don't know which tranny the diesels have. I'll try to look it up later.

B

As above the plastic cap seems to be in good shape? although i have never really seen any to compare against.

i found the model number on a Navara forum are the gearboxes marked in anyway to differentiate between them?

Edited by r3mDollz

I have seen that much fines and shavings on drain plugs of perfectly functioning trannys before. Chunks and pieces are what you don't want to see.

I don't even recognize that last picture. You say that is the shifter?

B

I have seen that much fines and shavings on drain plugs of perfectly functioning trannys before. Chunks and pieces are what you don't want to see.

I don't even recognize that last picture. You say that is the shifter?

B

looks like the shifter + the shifter plate got pulled out as an assembly. with the C-clip still holding the shifter in to the plate.

yup

photo11mct.jpg

decided to pull the whole shifter and plate to get a better look at things.

I think I'm going to have to pull the tranny and take it to a shop to get properly looked at.

how do you drain the tranny dry? it seems to have a small amount sitting in the bottom. I have tried lifting the back end ,till i started getting a little uncomfortable about ow high it was, which helped but still not enough? I don't wanna pull it and make a bigger mess than needed :crossedwires:

Ah, ok, makes sense now, sorry.

I agree, take it to a shop. Hopefully it's not a big deal...

When I removed my tranny, I simply drained it, put the plugs back in and removed it without any major spills. Once you have it out you can drain it all the way if you want to.

B