Self Exhaust Guru's

94 Pathy

So, I'm wanting to have some flanges welded to the headers & the Y-pipe so I can tare the exhaust apart if needed for tranny work & things.....

Would you take to an exhaust shop, or someone that knows how to weld & does things like that? I'm tired of the clamps not holding & having to put exhaust putting over the gaps to quiet the exhaust. On a very tight buget now since we bought a house & trying to get things paid off.

Also, I've been told to take the headers off to get the flanges welded on correctly & alsos been told to keep the headers on the engine....which is best?

Thanks a million for all the info!

Can't wait to see that when you're done. The flanges aren't on yet. I was wanting to have them welded to the headers & also the Y-pipe & then put a gasket in between. I purchased 4 flanges from Rock Auto. If I had a welder & knew how to weld really good, I'd try it myself.

The dual exhaust idea's been argued to death, general consensus IIRC is that the VG doesn't have the right firing order or whatever to work properly with duals without some kind of crossover.

I took mine to a shop, and the guy ended up fabricating a new Y-pipe as mine had all kinds of holes. He didn't touch the manifolds that I know of. Now that I think of it, I don't think he put a single flange in the system... just welded or clamped. Hopefully I don't have to take it apart any time soon!

The dual exhaust idea's been argued to death, general consensus IIRC is that the VG doesn't have the right firing order or whatever to work properly with duals without some kind of crossover.

Truth. The VG doesn't use a conventional V6 firing order, it's sequential, so there is no way for the exhaust to properly scavenge without all six cylinders meeting at some point.

• Like 2

Would you take to an exhaust shop, or someone that knows how to weld & does things like that?

Also, I've been told to take the headers off to get the flanges welded on correctly & alsos been told to keep the headers on the engine....which is best?

Yeah, go to an exhaust shop. It will be an easy job for them...

Keep the headers mounted. Even if they have to remove them to get a good weld all the way around, they'll want to tack everything up in place first.

Fyi, I have used lap joint band clamps and Permatex Copper with considerable success.

B