How I fixed my broken (original / powered) stereo antenna

gv280z

So when I bought my pathy a year ago the exterior automatic stereo antenna was snapped off. I didn't really know what to do with it, I'm really no good with car electronics or removing fenders and dash and stuff like that to gain access to the original broken equipment. And so most of a year passes with out any real good stereo reception, until about a month or two ago when I finally decided to do something about it.

I had a very vague knowledge that I could have an internal "hidden antenna" purchased and installed at Car toys for like $200 or something like that. I did not feel comfortable spending that kind of money on fixing my antenna, so I shopped around a little and found this one at Frys for around $30: Metra 44-UA20 AM/FM Antenna

And you know what? It actually wasn't that bad, once I had figured out how to remove the instrument panel cover and pull out the stereo, I was able to figure my length of cable needed (starting at the top of the windshield) and routed the cable inside the interior molding along the top of the windshield, down the passenger side door molding at the edge of the windshield and up under the dash / glovebox area into the back of the "stereo compartment"; 2nd part of this install was finding a 12v power source for the amplified antenna for which I just soldered the little wire into the back of the cigarette lighter and that did it :)

For some reason my stereo (or the original antenna) had a dual splitter wire adapter where I was able to hook up both the old and the new antennas and plug both into the stereo so I guess I'm running a dual antenna setup.

The adhesive that came with the antenna to allow you to attach to the window glass doesn't work at all (atleast in our humid texas heat) so I had to super glue it to the plastic molding and that held.

So anyway my stereo sounds great now, I'm really happy with it and glad I was able to do it myself.

Greg

What year is your truck? Some had dual antennas, the mast antenna, and one in the center of the windshield. I can't remember what they called the setup, but the stereo would choose whichever one was providing the best signal.

My auto antenna stopped working cause the teeth on either the gear or the plastic part of the antenna were torn off. I could hear the antenna motor but nothing would happen. I opted to fully extend the antenna and clip the motor wires. That way, the antenna is always up and it doesn't grind or burn out the motor. Further thinking about it, I believe the problem is that the antenna gets frozen in the winter and turning on or off the radio can tear-up the teeth.

Solution: Replace the antenna with one that isn't screwed up but install a switch on the wires that go to the power antenna motor. Now, for the winter, I can turn on the radio and let the antenna go up, then flip the switch and leave it disabled so no matter how cold it gets, the motor doesn't try to lower the antenna and I can listen to music through the winter. It also comes in handy if you want to listen to the radio while going through a carwash or flock of birds. Turn off the radio to get the antenna down, flip the switch to disable the motor, then turn the radio back on.

My antenna is exactly like K9sar describes, but I'm not worrying about a solution because I have a set of fenders with the antenna cutout on the top of the fender (my SE has the antenna on the side of the fender) so I just have to pull a regular one from a junkyard when I swap the other fenders on.

Wow and I thought I was being a little silly because of a bad stereo reception, you guys flew past me like a rocket in all your efforts to make your antennas work, I'm way too lazy for the work that you guys did. I can still hear the motor running trying to raise an antenna that's not there, I don't care, just let it run.

My ride is a 94 by the way but I don't think I've got any other type of glass / window antenna.

My 94 was supposed to have a power antenna except the whole thing was missing, I bought a fender mount from Crutchfield, cut the round hole slightly to make it rectangle and mounted the antenna. Works so far.

• 6 months later...

I have a 95 Pathfinder and have the factory power antenna and the antenna is not working any ideas on what I should check.

All I know is that the antenna is a little bent.

Can you hear the motor whirring when you turn the radio on? Most likely is that the long nylon bit inside is busted. Mine was in three pieces somehow. You can get a new antenna mast (which will have the long nylon bit and won't be bent so it'll retract right) off Fleabay, IIRC that's where I got mine. It's kind of a PITA to respool it but there you go. I did mine a few years ago and it's still working fine, but I don't use it too often... not much on the radio around here unless you like listening to guys drawling about women who done them wrong.

I stole the idea from k9sar.....I put a toggle switch inline with the power antenna wire labeled with my aftermarket stereo. Now, I control when the antenna goes up or down. Convenient for bad weather or tree branches!