Plasma vs oxy-acetylene?

Slartibartfast

My dad and I are looking to cut fish shapes out of old junk cars (long story, he runs a fish restoration nonprofit). So I'm looking into either a plasma cutter or an acetylene torch. I've researched the pros and cons. Most obvious is that you can't very well take a plasma cutter into a field (Quest alty, great big inverter... no?) but my dad said we could work around this.

Any advice from somebody who's used either type? I've researched cost a bit, so I'm wondering more about longevity/ease of use. Neither of us has much experience with metal work.

Torch will be a little slower...less heat and cleaner...plans.a torch fast and ugly unless u have a steady hand and/or a template...that's at least my experiences

Plasma has ton have compressed air and 220

Oxyacetleyne needs a spark...

Edited by unccpathfinder

Torch will be a little slower...less heat and cleaner...plans.a torch fast and ugly unless u have a steady hand and/or a template...that's at least my experiences

Which torch is which?

Edited by Slartibartfast

Plasma, thats your answer. If you have a genny that will run both the buzz box and compressure your fine. Plasma has no down falls if you have the equipment too use it.

Tourchs are cheaper up front but cost more too run. But will last longer IMO if its a good one.

Plasma's will last a long time as well, but most of the cheaper ones are for minimal use.

If your cutting 1/2" or thicker get a torch, if its less then a plasma will do fine (well plasma's will cut 1/2" or thicker but the big ones cost real money)

But what do I know...