fuel gauge probelem and light problem

p51speed

ok first off when my truck has a quarter tank of gas its actully empty and dyes. any idea what would cause the gauge to stop working at 1/4 tank?

second my left high beam was not working and now when i go to high beams , sometimes obnly the right one works and other times the both will not come on I have replaced the lights , any ideas on where to start here? thanks guys

The light problem is caused by the switch. The contacts just burn off over time inside the switch. To prevent this problem from ever happening, you need to relay the headlights directly to the battery.

The gas gauge problem can be caused by a few things. The sender could be malfunctioning or the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster may be needing some adjustment. Peel back the carpet in the cargo area and open the fuel pump access hole to inspect the sender for corrosion.

^^What he said. You can take the headlight switch apart and clean the contacts, which should solve the problem, but the relay mod keeps it from happening again. I don't remember what doing mine cost, but it took a couple evenings, some wire, some plugs, and two junkyard relays ($2 each!).

• 2 weeks later...

Word of caution here.

I recently coughed up the $$$ for the 'Dan Stern' kit, $ 155.13 with $12.00 in shipping. When the kit arrived, it was sent from on of his 'suppliers' in Pennsylvania, a company called Susquehanna Motorsports. I followed the directions to the letter, and the kit didn't work as designed. After several frustrating emails back and forth with Dan Stern (he wont disclose his phone number)! I called the company that shipped the product. As it turns out, my Pathy has a 'unswitched' wiring system that is opposite of most Asian manufactured vehicles.

The 'tech' and person making the harness in PA tried to get me to pay for the replacement harness up front which was sent in error as per Dan Sterns rrecommendation After some discussion he agreed to ship the correct harness with return postage. However when I received my corrected package the list price from the company in PA was only $83.00 so I called about a refund for the difference. They refused, arguing that there was a recent price increase (right after I placed my order!) Sighting that if I shipped the incorrect harness back, as per agreed, "I may get a small credit" if approved by Dan Stern. I sent the first harness back anyways, since I had no need for it, and am a man of my word.

Even though the second harness does in fact allow greater vivisibilitynd works much better than the factory set up. In my opinion, your better off building your own, and saving the $100.00 and hassle in Pi** Poor customer service and BS from a couple of crooks which ununfortunatelyitter the MoMotorsportsommunity.

Buyer Beware!

Just my personal expeexperienceW...Susquehana Motorsports does not return my phone calls!