Crossmember and Sliders

albino

Well I set out this summer to learn some basic metalworking and build a full set of skids. Unfortunately, I ran out of time in the summer but I did finish building a control arm crosslink, a new crossmember, and some sliders. With a little luck I will get some skids made sometime before next spring. In the mean time, here is what I made...

Cross-link and Crossmember:

IMAG0754.jpg

Close-up of the Crossmember:

IMAG0755.jpg

Sliders just after being put together:

IMAG0737.jpg

After powder coating:

IMAG0752.jpg

Just before install:

IMAG0757.jpg

Now if it would just stop raining outside I could take some pictures of the final product!

The new crossmember is much beefier than the stock crossmember and has a slightly higher clearance. I made sure to drill a few extra holes in everything for mounting the skid plates when I get around to it.

Alright I got around to taking some final pictures today.... heres how she looks now:

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

The sliders are welded to some gussets which are welded to the frame. Hopefully that will help distribute the load across the frame so nothing will fatigue.

IMG_2294.jpg

I am hoping to make extras of everything next summer when I get a break from school and work. By that time I should have some prototype skids as well. Then I will get started on some bumpers which I am really looking forward to!

Really nice work. The one thing I would've done differently is instead of welding to the frame I would've used bolt-on brackets so that if I damaged one I could remove and install a different one much more easily.

I have some gussets connecting the square tubing to the frame. The gussets have 13 inches of weld connecting them to the frame so I am thinking that should be enough to keep the load distributed but I will have to take them out for some testing soon!

• 1 month later...