need help installing distributor, 86 block into 94 pathfinder and had to switch distributors

pattywagon95

well like the posting says i swapped an engine from a 86 pathfinder into my 94. i've got all the newer intake, plugs, and distributor plate swapped over and i'm now to the point of installing the distributor. the engine is out of the truck still because i have to drill a few exhaust studs out and i'm waiting on headers. my question is how do i align the new distributor up and get the timing right. thanks in advance for all the help guys, i really wanna get this thing up and runnin again soon

thanks for the quick reply but i couldnt really figure out my question. mainly what i need to know is how to make sure the engine is at tdc. i know theres somethin about the compression stroke. sorry i shouldve mentioned that in the first post.

Alright so. IF THE CRANK PULLEY IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY, you align the furthest left timing mark with the timing pointer on the lower timing belt cover and check if the NO.1 piston is at the top of it's travel. If not, spin it over again until it is. Then take the distributor gear and line the dimple up with the arrow on the shaft and slide it in. It will turn a bit as it engages the cam gear so don't worry. In it's final place the rotor should be pointing almost directly left if you're facing the front of the engine.

I don't think that the crank pulley can be installed incorrectly as it has to line up with the key way ...

Your statement is "spot on".

It can on the wd21, the crank pulley and balancer are separate, held together by 6 10mm bolts.

It can on the wd21, the crank pulley and balancer are separate, held together by 6 10mm bolts.

No kidding? Wow!

I'm still arm wrestling with my wife's Prelude. I did not know going into that timing issue that there are actually two belts in the timing chamber on those cars. One is the timing belt, the other "balance shaft" belt drives the oil pump.

that is EXACTLY the answer i was lookin for kingman. i will do this first thing in the morning. when you say the rotor in the distributor should point almost directly left is that for the newer model distributor and the older as well? thanks

Both of them.

At the pulley mark on TDC, the rotor should be pointing to plug 1. You can even take off the upper timing belt cover and verify TDC because the punch marks on the sprockets will both be pointing directly to the belt instead of away from it. You can even turn the engine over until the timing marks on the cam sprockets line up with the belt. Then you are at TDC for sure.