food for thought after a 16 hour drive

banx

Given how flammable all kinds of stuff is in pure oxygen, I'd be a little leery of running it into a hot engine. Plus you'd probably have to re-program the computer or mess with the MAF, or it would be running way lean. And of course you'd be buying oxygen cylinders with your gasoline... I'll bet that'd offset whatever fuel savings you'd get from the system.

My dad suggested putting little tires on mine, saying he'd talked to people who said it improved their fuel economy over the 31s. My first thought was, they probably didn't change the speed sensor/speedo gear when they put little tires on, so they're getting bogus numbers. And I'm not into mods that reduce the vehicle's capability.

But yeah, bigger engine, less restriction (intake/exhaust), maybe some computer mods, and it'll go quicker and (from what I've heard) do better on gas too.

Smaller tires will improve acceleration because of the gearing but then the engine has to be at higher rpms when you are cruising so the fuel economy difference is negligible.

You will only need to change the exhaust. The stock intake is actually well designed. There are still some things you can do to the intake but the difference may not even be noticeable on the good old butt dyno.

Edited by Tungsten

should just put in a large brushless electric motor, a bank of lipo batteries and 2 chargers...

lock the tranny in 4th gear.

i guess trying to get the vg30 to make more power for cheap is like teaching a duck to speak portuguese.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I don't have much to add to this discussion though I am enjoying it. I try to hit really steep hills on the the Coquihalla highway or the Crowsnest by hitting the bottom of the hill at 120 km/h. :)

But if I may feed an off-topic suggestion....

Banx, if you live in the Lower Mainland or plan on visiting Greater Vancouver on occasion, please get an after-market ignition immobilizer for your 91 pathie. Car thieves love early pathfinder models. ICBC has documented this over the years. We lost ours just outside the downtown store of Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) a few years ago. Vancouver police don't give a crap, in fact, the tow company provided the information for the police report.

thanks, I have an immobilizer, its in a fairly secure parking spot and it's not the prettiest pathfinder in my area. hahah

I avoided the coquihala and took the canyon when i went to visit the parents up north recently. just to avoid all those hills.

I want to move to Canada and enjoy the finer things in life...

Ought to stay on topic sorry.

I have considered doing the diesel swap since there happens to be a forklift repair shop in the area. Side has several Nissan lift trucks or whatever that are diesel... TD27 motors if my memory serves me correctly. I guess it would depend... It's a trade off. Diesel is like 5 a gallon here, where standard gas is at about 3.55 a gallon. The horsepower to weight ratio and then the coat are all factors....on top of part availability.

Besides I'm not looking to smoke out any intersections haha