Rancho

brnagain

Does anyone know that part number for the rancho rs5000 for the shocks on a 2002 pathfinder? Also has anyone used the rs5815 and 16 struts? I plan on upgrading the stock shocks as the stock bottom out so easily. Or maybe you have a better recommendation- Thank you very much.

Struts: Go with KYB GR2. On the Pathfinder, Rancho struts are inferior to the KYB GR2's.

RS5000 rear shocks for stock suspension: RS5116.

For 2" lift suspension: RS5010

That was going to my next question-awesome...I appreciate it. Also, Amazon says rs5116 doesn't fit the 2002 pathfinder-are you sure that's the one? Thank you very much for your time.

Edited by brnagain

amazon has almost always told me it would not fit...not sure who does there homework, id either contact rancho or 4x4parts.com and they are far more reliable for our parts than amazon...but not always cheaper tho

Does anyone know that part number for the rancho rs5000 for the shocks on a 2002 pathfinder? Also has anyone used the rs5815 and 16 struts? I plan on upgrading the stock shocks as the stock bottom out so easily. Or maybe you have a better recommendation- Thank you very much.

I agree with the shock and strut upgrade. However, keep in mind that it's not the shocks and struts that keep your vehicle from bottoming out. It's the springs. The shocks and struts dampen vertical oscillation, but the springs keep your frame off the bump stops. The OEM coils on the Pathfinder are soft to begin with, and they only get softer over time.

If you want to stop bottoming out, look at Old Man Emu coil springs.

...it's not the shocks and struts that keep your vehicle from bottoming out. It's the springs. The shocks and struts dampen vertical oscillation, but the springs keep your frame off the bump stops.

That's actually not 100% true. Shocks will help prevent bottoming out if the valving is firm. Shocks control how quickly the suspension responds to bumps in the road. Softly-valved shocks will allow the suspension (springs) to move faster and further, isolating the chassis from the road. Really big bumps with softly-valved shocks may allow bottoming-out. Firmly-valved shocks do not allow the suspension to move as far, nor as quickly, providing a firmer ride that communicates more of the road surface through the chassis to the driver. Sports-tuned suspensions use firmer shocks.

Basically, firmer shocks can help with bottoming out, but only if the suspension is not already compressed so far as to be close to the bumpstops. If you're carrying a heavy load or your springs are too weak, even firm shocks won't help with bottoming out.