Accident repair: OEM vs aftermarket parts

jwblue

What is everyone's experience with aftermarket vs. oem parts being used to repair damage from an accident?

Separate body and engine repair.

What year is the Pathfinder that was repaired?

What about engine repairs not from an accident?

Edited by jwblue

I can only speak for my 2WD Hardbody. I wanted 4WD fenders on it so the front wheels could tuck easier (it was airbagged and laid frame) and at first I bought aftermarket fenders. They were horrible. The body line never really lined up, and I had to use washers to shim them so it looked halfway decent. Eventually I bought some straight from Nissan. Had em painted, and you would of never known they were replaced they lined up so well.

I have an aftermarket rear bumper cover, it seems to fit fine and looks more or less exactly the same as the OEM bumper cover. I also have an aftermarket driver's side fog lamp and parking lamp assembly, and driver's side tail light assembly. All look and function identical to the OEM parts. The light pattern on the parking lamp isn't exactly the same as OEM, but that's a very minor gripe.

th_IMG_20111005_192657.jpg

The 94 I bought was in some sort of front end collision years ago, and was repaired using aftermarket headlights, signals, markers, grille, bumper, and fenders. The only reason I noticed is because when I replaced all the a/c o-rings, I noticed the condenser, rad and all the other stuff was aftermarket and looked a lot newer than everything else.

Other than the fact that the PO didn't clip the grille back in when he put the tranny cooler on, you can't even tell...

IMG_1611.jpg

On one of my HBs (red 91 4x4 I've posted before) when I repainted it, I used aftermarket fenders and hood (didn't have any spare 4x fenders at the time). Stuff lined up pretty nice with no effort (and the hood is actually currently on WhiteOwl right now) otherwise any body panels I've used for replacements were high quality, economically challanged pre-owned pieces other than some lenses (hit or miss luck there). Now on different make vechiles I've had many mixed experiences...

That grille/brushguard is nice. Where is that from?

Seen that on some Australia ones before.

The PO got it from a JY (another wd21). I know nige had a bare aluminum one like that, this one was painted black from the factory, but it is aluminum as well. It serves no purpose and I will be removing it very soon.

The PO got it from a JY (another wd21). I know nige had a bare aluminum one like that, this one was painted black from the factory, but it is aluminum as well. It serves no purpose and I will be removing it very soon.

Yea its not something I would install for a trail vehicle, it just looked really unique and I had never seen one similar.