Is it safe to drive w/o PS pump?

devonianwalk

Hey gang,

Like the title of this thread, is it safe to drive a couple of days with out the power steering pump in place? My re-manufactured pump went out less than a month of when I installed it. The "big box" store is honoring the warranty but, they have to order the part which will take a couple of days. Hind sight is 20/20 and I realize that I should have contacted them before removing the pump. I would just like y'alls input before installing the bad pump back on if I don't have to.

You could loop the lines and fill it so at least the rack is lubed. Common mod in the vw world my friend says.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

You could loop the lines and fill it so at least the rack is lubed. Common mod in the vw world my friend says.

I have done this before myself on a few vehicles with rack and pinion steering. Works just fine for what its intended to do.

Every dirt track guy that is sporting a 2.3 liter mustang does this as well, the whole point is to keep oil in the rack, thus keeping it alive.

Edited by tmoore4512

Yes, as long as you keep the rack oiled there is nothing that will go wrong running it without a pump. The pump just makes the steering easier by pressurizing the oil against some weight or valve or something like that. Just don't try parallel parking. :lol: Well you can but it won't be as easy. You won't break the input shaft though so don't worry about it.

Thanks for the input fella's. I went ahead and re-installed the busted pump and put a half a quart of fluid in to keep the rack lubed. I get to do the process all over again Tuesday when the next re-man pump comes in. waiting.gif

Thanks for the input fella's. I went ahead and re-installed the busted pump and put a half a quart of fluid in to keep the rack lubed. I get to do the process all over again Tuesday when the next re-man pump comes in. waiting.gif

Why not drive your other car until it arrives? Wait... Then you would have to be seen in a Miata :kyle:

:rofl:

What is this with you and Miata gripe?

:lol: Nunya's just being an ass.

My wife is driving the Miata while I have the head off of her engine because her dang timing belt slipped. Found a complete engine for $100 because the guy put a Vtec in his and dosent want it. Go figure?

:lol: Nunya's just being an ass.

My wife is driving the Miata while I have the head off of her engine because her dang timing belt slipped. Found a complete engine for $100 because the guy put a Vtec in his and dosent want it. Go figure?

Be careful. If he swapped a Vtec in his, I'm betting that motor has some hard, hard miles.

I just want the head off of it and maybe a few hoses that I cut while removing hers. I'm going to take a pressure gauge with me and turn the crank by hand to see if I can muster up, oh .. what should I get by turning the crank by hand? I'm guessing maybe 25-30 psi?

Plus, I'm going to scrap my old head and the "new" engine block. That should be a wash for $100.