where did you mount your hi-lit jack?

captandy

Until I get my swing out tire carrier I had to mount mine on the roof rack..........

photo2-2.jpg

I used a HiLift mounting kit that fits round tube up to 2", so I can just mount it straight to the carrier when I've built it (my R50 came with the under rear spare tire option). Here's how it is held in place...........

photo3-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

this is going to be a dumb question...but...how exactly do you lift the front/side if you dont have rock sliders or a steel bumper???

I can visualize the rear with a hitch and just lifting it from there...

thanks

I was going to get one but then thought it would be pointless...

Hi-Lift has a whole line of accessories to use them for all kinds of applications and uses other than a jack even

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/index.html

as for mounting, for some reason I always liked the look of one mounted across the cowl panel behind the hood that Jeep people do, but am also a believer in out of site out of mind (yet can have issues practicing that as well :lol: ). Maby try to set up some kinda inside yet accessible mount in the cargo area?

I'm not real familiar with the R50 spare tire mount, but that'd be my vote.

Most R50's in the US don't have the swing out carrier like the WD21, the spare is under the body on a winch mechanism. I haven't looked under the rear seats but wouldn't think there's room, I'm building a swing out carrier so I'll mount the jack on that. Maybe you could mount it on the rear bumper somewhere?

Here is how I mounted mine:

IMAG0704.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

It takes up minimal space so I can still fit roughly the same amount of stuff in the cargo area. Seats still fold up and down fine but have to fold together if the jack is attached.

The reason I chose this setup is I can leave the jack mounted all the time without worrying about theft or rust.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Its a 48 inch jack. I had originally just bolted L brackets to the sheet metal on the back of the seats but the sheet was too flimsy and it moved around too much. As a result I made a frame out of some 3/16 steel bar and bolted the L brackets to that. The frame spans the width and height of the seats and is attached via a ton of sheet metal screws to distribute the load over the sheet metal. I am going to take some pictures of the frame next time I take the jack off, I've just been pretty busy lately.

Also the frame is two different parts so the seats can still move seperately when needed.

Edited by albino

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the frame, sorry it took so long to get them uploaded!

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

The one annoying thing about this setup is that the frame blocks the holes that the cargo rug/fabric fasteners attach to on the top of the seat. I originally tried to attach the fabric using some velcro strips. It worked great in the winter but this summer the heat melted the adhesive off the metal frame and I was left with a sticky mess that I just fixed yesterday. Now im trying some snap fasteners for the attachment which I think will work really well.

• 1 year later...

I have always kept a couple of 4"x6" wood blocks with me to use my factory bottle jack since I've done my AC lift. Why wouldn't that be sufficient? I've just recently been in the market for a hi-lift jack for another project that I've been working on. I have never really considered one for my 99.5 R50 because it only has the plastic bumpers. I just can't find a feasible way to use one without destroying the body or bumpers on my Pathy. :shrug:

I got a hi-lift so that if I get in a bad spot I can manually winch it out. Even with sliders I still can't really jack with it, definitely need metal bumpers for that.

did you just mount it to the rear bumper?

like put a metal bar behind the bumper and bolted it to it?

No, it mounts to the hitch:

q2h6.jpg

I have always kept a couple of 4"x6" wood blocks with me to use my factory bottle jack since I've done my AC lift. Why wouldn't that be sufficient? I've just recently been in the market for a hi-lift jack for another project that I've been working on. I have never really considered one for my 99.5 R50 because it only has the plastic bumpers. I just can't find a feasible way to use one without destroying the body or bumpers on my Pathy. :shrug:

Yeah, you're probably right. I got the jack as a gift though, and figured I might as well mount it.