Snap....POP....Help!

Hey Guys,

I have 96 Pathy, I have new suspension but lately I hear a POPing noise coming from the front. When I put it in 4x4 and it has to pull up a hill you can hear it. When in 2wd, at slow speeds sometimes you can hear it and it seems to vibrate. I have never had autolocking hubs so I am not sure if its this or the axles…do you guys have any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks

Chuck

Before you buy new cv's, check for play in the ones you have currently. Try moving them by hand. Also, put it in 4wd, have a buddy drive it over some bumps and see if you can locate the noise. If it is the cv's (or cv) I would personally locate some lower mileage Nissan cv's and run them.

One thing you could do it pop off the drive flanges and see if the noise goes away. They may still make a noise during suspension travel, but it would be much quieter and sound a fair bit different. You could do one side at a time to narrow down which side it is.

Does anyone know the specs to the CV joints? I am going to buy the halfshaft - here in Brazil they are asking me the spindal count...I hope to get the parts today so I have my truck ready for Sundays trip.

Madhornet....That will be my next check....when we checked everything again last night the CV shaft was looser than it should be...How hard was it for him to replace the chain?