Manual locking hubs with stock 03-04 wheels

I think it's because of the wheel center bore. I didn't think they had changed over the years, but that might've been the case and they were too lazy to fix it. But, I would that that even that were the case, nothing some minor grinding wouldn't fix. Though, I think I've put my wheels on without the spacers before (couldn't tighten it because I ran out of threads on my longer wheel studs), and I don't recall a problem. Maybe they just never checked...who knows.

I am going to send and show them this thread ... just for giggles .. they should know it fits ... but like I said if it triggers the 4WD light the application may not be perfect

enough ... and they don't want the phone calls and returns .. but if I were them .. I would just put an asterisk next to the years it fits and have it read ...

" * may cause 4WD light to come on "

Guess it wouldn't hurt...they'll have some giggles I'm sure. It's not really definitive about wheel fitment for the SE models with the 16"...fact is, it might not even require a spacer like the OP mentioned. Eventually I'll put OE wheel studs back on and will know for sure if the spacers are needed or not.

The thing about the 4wd light, though, is that it only potentially affects those with auto-mode 4wd. But if it was switched to 2wd, I don't know why the system would throw a fit at all. Silly sensors.

Yes and As I read it the OP seemed like he did the spacers so he could put back on the factory center caps . But seems if you want to get at them quick and don't mind them sticking through the wheel you wont need the spacers and lengthening bolts .. maybe I am not reading right ..

And yes that is a mystery on why that light comes on for the Auto mode owners ... even when my drive shaft was out of my PFinder for 2 weeks ... it was on and off erratically .

but with driveshaft back in (and no locking hubs yet) it has been off ...

Nah, no center caps on the front wheels. The manual hubs stick out a perfect amount as is, I think. He did it because he saw some interference between the manual hub and OE wheels. I didn't find this thread until several months after getting the truck and swapping the wheel studs, so I never thought to check. It just looked like the right stance for the truck, so I never had a reason to challenge fitment without them, and since I was planning to keep the spacers, longer wheels studs wouldn't hurt. Plus, I couldn't stand the mismatched thread pitches.

Not really a mystery on the auto-mode systems. The auto-mode system has several sensors to determine when to engage or disengage a particular traction mode. It's basically determining the delta between the front axle and the rest of the vehicle. If you have it in "Auto" mode, it's expecting the driveshaft to be spinning, and will compare its RPM to what the ECU detects is should be. If the delta is big enough (as in the case where the vehicle is moving but the front axle isn't spinning), it assumes you've lost traction and attempts to engage 4wd, but can't because parts need to be rotating for the t-case gears to mesh up. There's a sensor to detect when it is engaged. If the system says "the t-case is engaged now" but the t-case sensor says "no I'm not", well, there's the problem. The assumption is that by putting the mode in 2wd, the system doesn't care that the front driveshaft isn't spinning and won't attempt to engage 4wd.

The above concept is no different for us part-time 4wd system users, we just lack almost all the sensors. There's a sensor to detect whether you're engaged or not, and that's about it.

• Like 1

Hey guys, call me a newbie but I'm pretty unfamiliar with manual hubs. How do they work with the selectable auto hubs in my 02 LE 17" rims. Will i be able to run with the RR hubs in 2wd and still use the 4x4 locked option in my pathy without getting out of the truck to get out of a snowy driveway and just use the RR hubs in 4x4 for hard core off-roading?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You will not be able to use 4wd in any way with the hubs unlocked. Personally I leave mine locked in January through March, because like you said, deep snowy driveways and stuff to deal with every day. The rest of the year I leave them unlocked unless I find I need them, which is pretty much only off road.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, call me a newbie but I'm pretty unfamiliar with manual hubs. How do they work with the selectable auto hubs in my 02 LE 17" rims. Will i be able to run with the RR hubs in 2wd and still use the 4x4 locked option in my pathy without getting out of the truck to get out of a snowy driveway and just use the RR hubs in 4x4 for hard core off-roading?

Not sure if any R50 had auto hubs; I'm pretty they were fixed hubs for both full-time and auto-mode systems, but someone can correct me there. Whatever the case, the manual hubs replace them. The purpose of the hub is to connect the CV axle to the wheel hub. An auto hub senses torque loss and will automatically connect the two (it's normally disconnected). A fixed hub is basically splined gear that's always in place to keep them connected. A manual hub allows you to manually connect them; when you turn the knob, it pushes a splined gear into place to make the connection.

Because it's manual, you'll always need to get out of the truck to lock it if you want to use 4wd, regardless of which 4wd system you have. This is because the front wheels are mechanically disconnected from the drive train—you can attempt to put the system into 4wd, but power will not go to the front wheels until the hubs are locked.

Also how does the RR hub affect the trucks ability to shift into low range?

It only affects anything when it's unlocked, but as above, if in 4wd and the hubs are unlocked, no power goes to the wheels.

And just to clarify, this isn't exclusive to the RR hub...all manual hubs obey the same principle.

That all said, manual hubs have the benefit of being able to disconnect the hub from the CV, which just reduces some drivetrain drag on the vehicle (when unlocked, the CVs, front diff, and front driveshaft don't rotate), hopefully freeing up a little MPG and reducing wear on those components. For guys who had auto hubs, this is a way for them to ensure that the hubs are locked when they need them to be locked (common complaints were they either didn't lock at all—stuck—or locked when it was too late—still stuck).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I installed the Rugged Ridge hubs on my Platinum. All highway it seems to be getting better fuel mileage and generally feels nicer and lighter to drive. However after 2 hours at 70+ the 4WD light did come on the dash. Auto mode transfer case in 2HI. When we got stopped I crawled underneath and felt the case, it didn't feel abnormally hot.