Megasquirting my WD21

Adam

Yep, just confirmed I wired them backwards :suicide:

http://forums.audiwo...d.php?t=2175190

edit: damnit, I'm not even sure anymore. I posted on LS1Tech to see if anyone can shed some light on it, there's so much conflicting info out there because these coils aren't super common.

Edited by Adam

Went ahead and put it back to stock today, took me less than half an hour. All it took was removing the LS1 coils, removing the new optical wheel in the distributor, replacing the rotor and distributor cap, remounting the stock coil and igniter and plugging the MAP vacuum line I installed. Fired up first try. I love the simplicity of all of this. I need to replace the CPU in my JimStim so I can't really afford the downtime while I troubleshoot the problem with no spark.

I don't know what size the 300ZX throttle body is, or if it would even work but www.oem-surplus.com has them brand new for $99.24, they also have TB's for 2 different year maximas, 86-88 for $50, and 93-94 for $75

Just a quick update, I had the wiring correct on the coils. I used my JimStim with a 1.5a 12v power supply, connected the coil to the 12v output, the ground, and used the 5v output to trigger the coil (just tapped the wire to the coil), hooked up a spark plug to the coil, grounded the plug to the JimStim and it fired the spark plug no problems. Now I have to figure out why my Megasquirt isn't firing the coils...

So I set up a coil with my Megasquirt here on the bench, used my distributor with the DIYAutoTune sensor wheel and I'm getting spark... So now I have to figure out why I'm not getting spark while it's in the car... Perhaps I'm just not getting spark at the right moment?

Got my wideband O2 sensor bung welded in today for $20. I won't have time to do anything today but tomorrow I should be able to try some more stuff. I really just have to figure out the offset angle for tooth #1 on the DIYAutoTune wheel. It's 90 degrees from TDC so I'm going to try that and 270. If neither of those work I'm just going to start changing it 20 degrees at a time until I start to get close to right.

This could very well get a lot simpler in the future, they're working on getting the Nissan optical CAS wheels working since a LOT of Nissan motors use them. It's supposed to be fully working in 1.1 firmware but they're only on 1.0.6 beta right now.

Installed the wideband into the Pathfinder today. The plug that I gave them to install in the hole for the new bung was tightened so hard I couldn't get it out with wrenches, I had to use vice grips and a hammer. Idiots. Oh well, it was only $20 to weld the bung on anyways.

Started thundering and pouring as soon as I started routing the wires for the controller through the firewall so I stopped for now.

I'm waiting on my manifold air temp sensor anyways, if I don't have one it'll cause issues down the line.

I've been watching this thread, very closely I might add. I love the work you're doing and just wanted to chime in.

Basically anything Nissan with a distributor, uses those optic sensors and discs for spark timing.

Picked up some plug wires for this today. The LS1/LS2 wires for Camaros, Vettes, Trans Ams, GTO's, etc won't work with this, they're far too short. The wires I picked up were for the 06 Cadillac Escalade 6.0l, the same vehicle my coils came from. The P/N 4317 coils at Auto Zone have 11" leads and they can get a set with 12" leads if needed. LS1/LS2 wires are much much shorter than this. The Cadillac wires are also a little bit cheaper, I went Duralast and got them for $26.99. I also picked up a set of spark plugs, just stock Pathfinder type. I may expiriment with different plugs at later dates but for now I'll keep it stock. The BMW wires I've been using temporarily are causing a really poor idle which isn't unexpected since my 635csi had a really poor idle. They needed to be replaced but I never did :lol:

My MAT sensor gets here this afternoon so I'll hopefully be trying to start it yet again.

Edited by Adam

So I got my intake air temp sensor today... but my Megasquirt's daughterboard (the board with the CPU on it) seems to be dead... I've been having random issues where I couldn't get it to work when connected to the PC at all, usually reflashing the firmware fixed this, but now it won't work at all, I can't even get it to communicate with the Megasquirt... One of the voltage regulators is also overheating when the daughterboard is plugged in but fine when it's not, leading me to believe it's a short on the 5v rail on the daughterboard... Hopefully DIYAutoTune will warranty it, I haven't done anything with this board besides remove it when necessary to access components underneath it, it hasn't even been able to be used to run an engine yet...

Pathfinder won't start now... Doesn't seem to be getting spark... Really wish the Megasquirt cpu didn't die so I could be trying to get that to work instead of fiddle****ing around with the stock crap...

It was idling rough last time I started it and then it just died and wouldn't start again. I was low on gas and thought it ran out but now it has gas and there's pressure in the lines, just no spark...

Edited by Adam

I think it's just the ignition coil, I replaced it previously but broke the connector off so I had to put the old one back in... Ordered a cheapie from ebay in case the Megasquirt isn't done by the time I have to move on the 7th...

New part didn't fix it, still have no spark. Considering I've checked the wiring between the ignition control module, the coil, and the ecu I really don't know nor care where to go from here. I'll just wait until I get the Megasquirt CPU back, at least then I'll have some idea of what is going on.

And before you say "check codes" I can't because I somehow don't have a shift lock release switch on my shifter, just an empty hole... Doesn't matter anyways, I don't drastically need it right this moment and don't want to continue throwing money at stock parts. Got a feeling it's the ECU that crapped the bed...

Edited by Adam

• 2 months later...

Wanted to toss an update out for this, I haven't abandoned it, just moved to a new city and started a new job and got a newer vehicle. Picked up a 2004 Golf TDI for daily driving duty. Moved to Austin and started working at Collings Guitars. The Pathfinder is still in Dallas outside of my mom's house, I'll be going back on the 7th to hopefully get more work done on this. I've been going back regularly since I moved on July 9th but I kept forgetting to bring my soldering iron. I've got some wiring I need to redo before I hook the Megasquirt back up to the harness, going to put the Megasquirt back in its stock case and turn the stock ECU housing I bought into a breakout box for it.

I got my OEM grill guard from Alkorahil recently too, so I'll probably go ahead and install that when I go back on the 7th.

Edited by Adam

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I literally just got my Pathfinder on the road again this weekend, it's been sitting for 9+ months in Dallas (at my mom's) while I've been living in Austin. I'll be able to resume working on it when I can get it back down to Austin (probably next time I come up to Dallas). Sucks not being able to make progress but keeping my life on track has been more important.

Any more updates on this yet? I like that coil on plug conversion. :aok:

Ugh. Water pump just siezed up on me... Glad I have AAA and was close to my mom's.

I haven't used AAA yet for anything other than discounts, but one day its gonna be nice to have!

What was it that was keeping the pathy from running to begin with. You just said you got it running again and never said what it was that fixed it.

James

The stock ECU died. I never got it running on the Megasquirt, my Megasquirt needs some repairs, some of the traces came up.

• 1 year later...

eaZN9w5h.jpg

Over a year later and I'm back at it. I manually repaired my Megasquirt, was really glad I could salvage it. I've been working all day on wiring it up to work on the Pathfinder. I've got most of the work done now, it connects to TunerStudio, the modules I've connected work, and I'm ready to start installing. Only thing is I've got to sort out the main harness, its in shambles right now, so I've got my work cut out for me.

Kingman and MY1PATH might be helpful resources (Nefarious as well), they seem to like playing with that type of thing...

Good luck and keep plugging at it. Don't be afraid to put it down when you get frustrated though... ;)

B