ok guys dont laugh... but what is this?

Power steering fluid reservoir. Use synthetic ATF for better cold weather operation and lowered operating temperature of the P/S system. Use a turkey baster to siphon fluid from the reservoir.

Your brake and clutch fluid appears dark. Have they ever been flushed/bled?

Edited by Towncivilian

Unfortunately, I know that is the power steering reservoir. My rack is leaking pretty bad and I have to top it off each time I fill up the gas tank. Actually, I think that I'm starting to push my luck as the steering is starting to feel "heavy".

Ugh, my procrastination is catching up with me once again ...

hmm, so instead of power steering fluid we can use our AT fluid? i thought that was only for certain makes

You should have AT fluid in there now, if it is not, you're using the wrong fluid.

I dunno how well ATF and "power steering fluid" mix but I wouldn't advise it. but yes, ATF should be used in most power steering systems. the power steering system is hydraulic, and ATF has plenty of cleansing agents in it.

PSF is basically ATF without the friction modifiers which would obvioisly be useless in a power steering system. They are of similar viscosity and will mix fine in most vehicles. Honda PSF is proprietary, but I digress. ATF isn't chock full of detergents (not nearly as much as engine oil anyway) since transmissions don't need to deal with the combustion process and its byproducts, blow-by, intake air, etc like engine oils do. Hydraulic systems like clean fluid though so additional filtering is always a great idea.

I run strait PS fluid in my stuff, but I just like using fluids labeled for their actual use in things. As stated ATF is perfectly fine and a lot of times (also as stated) recommended in stuff as a PS lubricant fluid :aok:

and it's only a stupid question if from a stupid person :lol: asking is sometimes the only way your gonna figure something out besides the 'hard' way!

On a related note, for those of you who never tried, I once bought real Nissan power steering fluid. Guess what it is the same thing as NissanMatic D with slightly lesser odor. Maybe less cleaning agents? I also once ran basic power steering fluid in my truck and it worked fine but the steering definitely felt better with the real ATF stuff in it. Currently I run AMSOIL Synthetic ATF in my power steering and it works like it was made to work.

Use any DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 fluid for both the brakes and the clutch fluid. Each has higher minimum wet & dry boiling points of the fluid than the previous. DOT 4 fluid is easily obtained in most parts stores.

Out of curiosity, what will you be putting into the diffs & trans? What engine oil & filter do you run and what is your typical change interval?

Edited by Towncivilian

Anyone replaced the PS pipes on an R50? I need to do at least 2 (from the reservoir down to the rack). Like devonianwalk, I keep procrastinating & the oil keeps dripping! They look like they're a bit of a pig to replace.

Use any DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 fluid for both the brakes and the clutch fluid. Each has higher minimum wet & dry boiling points of the fluid than the previous. DOT 4 fluid is easily obtained in most parts stores.

Out of curiosity, what will you be putting into the diffs & trans? What engine oil & filter do you run and what is your typical change interval?

who are you asking?

• Like 1

havent even thought about it yet... but i run mobil 1 with a factory nissan filter. i use to work at nissan so normally changed around 2k or less just cause i could. but now closer to 3k

yeah but working at nissan i got it for free. so when it would get slow, everyone would just change their oil and fluids just to pass time haha