Auto Tranny....

outoway

Ok, I have looked threw many topics, and still haven't found the problems that I have with mine. May have missed it though!

Problems are:

1st: Going down the road with spirited driving, the tranny doesn't always shift.... if you let off a bit, she will go ahead and shift. Any ideas?

2nd: With pathy cold, if you shift into reverse, she shudders but does move. But, if she is warmed up, she does just fine.

Hopefully I'm not getting ready to have to put a tranny in, but if I do, I will!

Problem 1.

I noticed that these truck dont shift at lower rpm unless you feather the throttle. Spirited driveing to me means more then 3/4 throttle and at that it'll shift at around 5,ooo. Although from what you say I think you mean it wont shift, it'll just stay steady at one rpm (like staying in 3rd unless you let off the gas)

Problem 2.

How has the maintance been on the tranny? It maybe time to change the fluid, filter and ad a after market tranny cooler. Genrally when reverse goes out it goes out without warning. it seems like it could be a line pressure problem though I cant say with 100 percent sertenty.

You are right on on the Spirited driving, if i dont let off it will run up the the rev limiter if i let it. as soon as i back out of it it shifts (let off the peddle that is). As for the maint on the tranny, I was leaning towards changing the fluid, just havent had a chance. (not sure when the last maint was done on it... But it is parked at the moment till I get a chance to look into the probs!) Pathy has a new Radiator it at the moment, but I intend to put a after market cooler on.

the first issue could be the TPS. a pathfinder should shift about 250-750 rpms before fuel cut, or whatever the factory rev limiter does, even at WOT. It really sounds to me like the transmission does not know where the throttle is.

The in-pan strainer is a rock catcher, if it is clogged you have bigger problems. You can just use the transmission cooler return line to do a complete fluid exchange in your driveway. I posted instructions in this thread in the "Transmission and driveline" section.

EDIT: Oh, I need to read the entire thread before posting. Either way, a complete fluid exchange and maybe a pan drop (to see if there's a ton of junk on the pan magnet) is a wise idea in this case.

Edited by Towncivilian

and the reverse issue was common there is a fix but its a very detailed fix not for the average wrench turner

Is their a link to this. I may have someone that can do it.