My mechanic says' that my chasis is getting dangerous to drive!

Pelagic1

Hi people,

I dropped off my Pathfinder to the guy that changes' the oil and any maintainance that needs to be done. He called me back within an hour and said that the chasis is getting to the point of being dangerous! It is a 95 and I have had it for 6 yrs. It only has 138,000 miles on it. Is their anything that can be done? Besides junking it?

Cut the bad stuff out and reweld it, its not hard at all. Most race cars have tubs were the rear frames are cut and re-welded.

If you cant weld, find a old timer/ semi retired welder that used to work on buildings or pipelines.

If you cant find one of those, take it too a dude (or dudet) that runs shop out of there garage.

If you cant find one of those, then junk it, since you will spend more having a auto body shop repair it then buying a rust free one would cost.

Check out the frame rust repair thread in the WD section. How bad's yours? I've seen people on here rebuild frames from rust flakes... mine just had a few holes in the sides. My dad and I had a guy cut patches from 1/8" steel, ground them to size, and had my uncle weld them up.

Any pics of the rust carnage?

I'd like to see 'just' how bad it is before making an opinion. As stated people have rebuilt from scraps and flakes shaped like a frame but frame swap is always an option if it's too far gone for you as well.

you could always buy a brand new frame from nissan. lmao.... what a joke. I actually was cruising courtesyparts and looked at how much a brand spankin new frame would be.... 3000$!!!! i was thinkin 1500 MAX lol. was a shocker to see 3k!

I was so bummed out when my mechanic told me that I should start looking for another vehicle that I forgot to get any pictures! A friend has a Pathy(don't know the year)and he is always telling me that is I need anything out of it to take it. I am wondering if anyone knows what year is the last year that my 95' SE(V6)engine is compatible with? I am thinking of taking the engine out of my Pathy and put it in a comparable(non-rusting)body!

95 is the last year that WD21's were released in the US. If you wanted the same exact model you drive (slightly different bumpers and round dash) I'd look for a 94-95. There are slight differences from the 90-95 models, like the front bumper was changed in 93, and the round dash started in 94. I know the 02 sensor is different on the 94-95 model. Its not uncommon to find a Pathfinder with a automatic that has failed, or to look for one that the timing belt broke on. Thats probably your best bet for finding a good rust free body and frame.