New to Nissan

I'm thinking about buying my mom's Pathfinder. Don't know too much about them coming from a few Toyota's. I've wheeled a 4runner and Tacoma. Was looking for something a little more family friendly and my mom decided to buy another car.

She has a 2002 Pathfinder 4x4 with 140k miles. Garage kept at home and work. She never used the 4x4 outside of my brother or I cutting through traffic hopping curbs for a deal I can't turn down.

Just curious what I'm getting in to and things to look out for. I always said I would never leave Toyota but if I did Nissan would be the only reason. Probably keeping my Tacoma for more of a toy. Using the Nissan more of a daily driver with the capability of off road use. Nothing Major though. Camping, Beach, etc.

I'm just starting to learn my way around this site but any info anyone has will be great. Until then I'm looking forward to playing around on here and learning.

Have the Pathy inspected for the recent strut housing corrosion recall (http://www.nicoclub....11V244-1111.pdf) if it hasn't been yet. If you choose to buy it, change out all of the fluids & filters to get everything up-to-date. Were the spark plugs changed around 105k?

Welcome to NPORA!

Edited by Towncivilian

Yeah. She baby's everything she has. Everything has been done through Nissan dealership. Only thing that hasn't been done is timing belt. Do you know when Nissan recommends this? I know Toyota wanted it done around 120k. Also do you know if Nissan wants the water pump, tensioner and all that jazz done at the same time?

She's giving me a hell of a deal. $3500 half of NADA value.

Welcome! If it's in good shape (which it sounds like it would be) I'd jump on that deal. I paid 5,250 for my 98 with 111,000mi about 4 years ago.

2001-2004 R50s don't have a timing belt - they have a timing chain. It should last the usable life of the vehicle.

One thing you may wish to preemptively do is apply threadlocker to the power valve screws, which is quite easy if you're at all mechanically inclined (or you can have the dealer do it for about $300). Some R50s left the factory with no threadlocker on these screws, so they can rattle loose and possibly get sucked in to the engine and potentially cause major damage. There have been several QX4 owners in the past 6 months or so who have had one or more power valve screws missing; one person had eight! See this thread for a guide: http://www.nissanpat...showtopic=17104

If you don't have a copy of all of the service records, you can ask your local dealer's service adviser to print out a copy for you.

Edited by Towncivilian

First off welcome and let glady inform you Pathfinder life is nothing like the headaches of Toyota 3.0 life :aok: feel free to share some pics (heck we'll even look at those Toyotas! ) and don't be shy onbrowsing around to give yourself some ideas. You just might be suprised what some of those caR50s are capable of in their different builds!

• Like 1

Awesome. I'll def look into all of that. I also may PM a few people who's set ups catch my eye.

Still tryin to navigate around on here. Are there any Nissan specific parts company's? I know there were tons of places that sold strictly Toyota suspension, bumpers, sliders, skid plates, etc. I'm not finding too much.

This current Pathfinder has super big step sides and a matching roof rack that says PATHFINDER down the sides. I'm not seeing any pics with any of those. Are people taking them off? I figured the steps would have to go but is the rack at least functional?

Welcome to NPORA !! PICS !!

here's a few links for you to check out:

http://nissanhelp.com/models/2002/pathfinder/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pathfinder#Second_generation_R50_series_.281996.E2.80.932004.29

link to Factory Service Manual free download, good to have:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/2002_Pathfinder/

Is this like your roof rack and steps?

qrm59i.jpg

I'm having a hell of a time learning my way around here. Plus not familiar with some of the Nissan terminology.

I'm looking to lifts for this thing. Not finding too much yet. I see lot's of you have AC lifts. I've searched and googled and can't seem to figure out what on earth it is. I don't have the car yet so I really haven't gotten to look at the suspension in person to see the set up. I'll be getting it this weekend.

I saw a link on suspension info when I first looked around the other day but can't seem to find it now. Think I'm just going in circles.

However, I do like the pics and videos of what I'm seeing on here. Makes me think the Tacoma will be going up for sale to dump some funds into this thing.

It is confusing at first. Then you become one with the Nissan Borg, and it all makes sense. :D

WD21: first-gen Pathfinders, from 87-95, body-on-frame

R50: second-gen Pathfinders, 96-2004, unibody

QX4: an R50 up-badged as an Infiniti

Any other terms you don't get, ask away. :)

Another thing to note, the search feature isn't terribly good. It's easier (for me, anyway) to guess what section something would be in, and go from there.

That would be it. Bumpers and flares are brown too.

I'm not lookin to go crazy with a lift. maybe an inch or two (that's what she said) Or even a leveling kit. Something to beef it up just a bit. I know she recently did shocks, brakes, tires and alignment. So not sure I wan to mess with it all that much. lift spacers maybe?

With Toyota, OME lifts were really good and popular... Is this the same with Nissan? I see some Rancho out there too. That was a big no no. Does FOX racing shocks make anything? That's what I had on my Yota

Yeah, mine also had brown bumpers and fender flares before I painted them. Do note that the color for the flares & bumper is slightly different from the main brown color (KX0 code) and as far as I know, no touch up paint exists for this color.

This topic has a lot of information regarding suspension lifts: http://forums.nicoclub.com/suspension-lifts-101-t491011.html

Thank You so much. lol I'm pretty bummed about the suspension options after coming from Toyota. I love my Fox coilovers. Do these lifts improve ride quality. I know she just put new shocks on it. However I think I want to lift it a bit just to change the appearance from "The Mom's Pathfinder" and toughen it up a little. Do I NEED longer shocks if I go with a 1.75" OME ? I thought I read a few places that they did without. I'll prob leave the new Michelin LTX on it just for the DD aspect. Don't mind a "mall crawler" or "street queen" for now as long as as it can handle the moderate off road it will see for a bit.

THanks for all the help. Will pick up this weekend and get some picks up.

Is there a Garage page or something where you can have your own thread just to document your build up. On my old forum they had one that you were the only one who could update. Was kinda neat to follow some builds without everyone throwing their opinions and comments cluttering it up with off topic stuff.... Kinda like this one.

I must say. You guys are WAY more friendly here. I would have been burned about 2O times already on this single thread

Thanks for all of your help

We don't have anything quite like that. There's a Member's Rides section at the very bottom, but it's free-for-all posting. What I've seen a few people do is post several filler posts after their intro, then edit their updates in there to keep it all together.

Do these lifts improve ride quality. I know she just put new shocks on it. However I think I want to lift it a bit just to change the appearance from "The Mom's Pathfinder" and toughen it up a little. Do I NEED longer shocks if I go with a 1.75" OME ?

These lifts work fine with "stock" struts. In fact, if she replaced the struts recently all you will need are the springs. As for the shocks .. I have no idea? I went with shocks that were recommended by the friendly folks here. I replaced my whole suspension at once due to the worn stock set up.

I must say. You guys are WAY more friendly here. I would have been burned about 2O times already on this single thread

Thanks for all of your help

:beer: We are a mature, helpful bunch (aren't we?). The Nissan Pathfinder is not as main stream as some other brands and we tend to stick together. It has been mentioned before that the members of NPORA know more about the Pathfinder than Nissan! (based on dealership experiences)

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I've been away for a few months trying to make a living playing golf. As for the Pathy, I'm lovin it. I do have a few questions of things I've come across. Now that I'm back in the normal work world I can start putting some disposable income into this truck. I'll be relearning my way around here again.

ANyone know the best sites for pricing and part exploration?