Rear speaker deck question

Trogdor636

If I were to remove the headliner, would the place where the rear speaker mounts (the roof type, not the side panel type) unbolt? Is it spot welded in, or is it even removable? A PO sort of mangled one side where the speaker mounts, and instead of trying to deal with it I was going to just pull another from a JY. It looks like they cut a bunch of metal away really crudely to try and fit a different speaker.

yea, takes a minute effort but you can put one in a non-truck. I installed one in my 88 as well, though mine is obvious where the 2 different headliners are as I didn't get to THAT point yet/don't look at it enough to make it a priority

e0088ea8.jpg

81ab5e42.jpg

:lol:

yea, takes a minute effort but you can put one in a non-truck. I installed one in my 88 as well, though mine is obvious where the 2 different headliners are as I didn't get to THAT point yet/don't look at it enough to make it a priority

:lol: You're almost a redneck!

You did take the time to paint the speaker grilles pink though, so I see where the priority is. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

I know back some time ago....years...I pulled it down and englarged the openings for larger speakers. I think it was 6x9 from Polk Audio but it's been a while. It still looks factory. :)

That was going to be my master plan. Even a bunch of 6x8's dont seem to fit, so I'll fit them with it out, then install.

I think I have 6x9s in mine (trimmed to fit obviously), but rememberign what they exactly are is on that priority list right with making the 2 headliners mate well :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I recommend. Spray it with under coat. Shoot expansion foam into all the cross bars. Spray the under side of the roof with under coat. You'll love the difference. It will make your truck feel more solid and will get rid of a bunch of the tin can feel. No vibrations ether.

In years past on other vehicles I have owned, we have removed headliners and utilized insulation/sound deadening material similar to Dynamat, it seemed to help out quite a bit in retaining the environmental aspects (heat/AC). I wonder if a healthy coating of undercoating (coating, coating man...) would do virtually the same thing?!

I need coffee.

There are spray on sound deadener paints which are pretty much exactly like bed liners. Spraying your bare roof with them will take out all the tin can feel indeed. I wouldn't put expansion foam anywhere though as that can trap moisture and cause corrosion.

Hmmmm... May be something I do in the near future. Last wheeling trip I went on I slept in the pathy, and if it was not for my ECWS bag, I would have froze... On top of that when you turn off the heat, or the air it dissipates so rapidly its crazy... The wife's Altima retains heat and AC quite well...

I nearly have my entire headliner out anyway, might as well do it...

Maybe one day I will put a working radio in too...