Need a change for rear coils.

AndyC

I've got AC 3in coils in the rear. Recently I dropped the front to a height where the control arm droop stops are not sitting on the bump stops. The truck now has a lot if rake to it. The AC coils also ride very firm.

Would swapping to a 3in XJ lift coil result in me loosing 1.5in? That's what I'm looking for, I understand it is also a softer spring, allowing more flex which would be great. I've got a 1992 4door xe, usually wheel with just the bare necessities and trail spares if that helps.

I've been going back and forth with that. I'm not sure I'm in love with the AC spring rate. From searching the XJ coils would be softer. Im not concerned with street manors or handling.

The truck does carry around that weight in tools most of the week. It measures out at 38" to the top of the fender (with factory flares) and 35" to the front. I can feel the rake while driving and that's a bit annoying. The boots have already ripped once on the cv's so no more cranking. I appreciate the reply.

Cutting the coils will make the ride stiffer.

The 3" lift coils made for the front of an XJ Cherokee will lift the rear of a pathfinder 3 inches. Theses are what I have been running for a few years now.

They are the same spring rate as stock so not as firm as the AC coils.

Actually It does because you have less spring to compress. If you have 16 coils and the spring compresses 1 inch for every 100 lbs then each coil is compressing 1/16 of an inch to equal one inch.

Now cut that in half. the siffness of the wire is still the same but there is now much less of it to flex so under 100 lbs each coil still compressed 1/16 of an inch to equal one HALF inch because you only have 8 coils.

To compress the half spring one full inch you now need 200lbs. so by cutting the spring in half you have doubled the spring rate.

Don't belive me? buy an old spring at the JY and try it yourself.

The wire stiffness itself stays the same but the overall spring rate multiplies by the amount you cut off.

Edited by MY1PATH

Not running the rancho 9ks. Pro comp 3k, cheapos but they are brand new. Put a 12in radial arm chop saw, 20 gal compressor, table saw, and 200 lbs of other tools in the back of the truck. List a 1/4in if rude height, but it felt like a Cadillac going down the road. May need to just keep trail spares with me.

Cutting the springs will definetely increase the spring rate and firmer ride, but it isnt always a bad thing, or even very drastic depeneding how much you cut off

Ive cut plenty of coils on plenty of cars, including most of my own to get wheel gaps almost perfect, im pretty picky on that

Its when you HEAT the coils to lower it that the ride quality goes out the window and your driving down the road feeling like your ass is on a trampoline

I found my AC 3" coils a little stiff when the truck was empty but when you loaded it up with people (or tools/a load) it rode really nice. I also never had a problem with the CV boots ripping and mine is only 1.5 inches higher in the back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that the coils are loosening up a bit as I get some miles on them. They are still a little high (maybe a lot) so I may be cutting them down a bit. We will see.