2004 R50 Post-Lift

dynomax

Took some pre-lift pics, and i'll take some post lift pics tomorrow when its light.

Ironman 35mm lift coils.

5.5 HRS install time, with a pizza and beer break.

struts were in great shape and all associated parts, rear was fine also... shocks are good (might still change anyway.

Prelift measurements:

FL 32 3/4" -- 34 1/4

FR 33 -- 34 1/2

RL 31 1/2 -- 34 1/4

RR 31 3/4 -- 34 1/2

So about 1.5" front, and 3" in rear or so. rear coils were shot completely.

Pics to follow.

Front was no issue, used 2 sets of compressors, rear just dropped shocks, and used 1 set of compressors.

First of all, thanks to many many people here, and threads new and old for all the help on the lift and other R50 questions.

OK, heres the pics.

2 pre lift pics

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

Post Lift Pics

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

CV Angle

IMG_0556.jpg

SPring compressor I used

IMG_0557.jpg

Too bad my goodyear Duratracs are not on yet, but I'm going to wear a little more out on these baja ATZ.

I am also going with black sidewalls when i mount my duratracs... i think they give the tire a bigger appearance.

Lift was the Ironman4x4 35mm lift coils. I bought them from Camel4x4. Eli is pretty good to deal with but very hard to get ahold of, shipping was FAST. I think he is out of New Jersey.

I paid 120 per pair USD, shipping was around 27 bucks to the usa (i picked them up in the usa and brought them back to canada)

added 1.5" wheel spacers giving me 4.5" backspace instead of my 6" overbite backspace.

Lift went on very very well for someone who has never changed a coil spring in his life and another guy who helped me who as only done one pair of rear coils on his jeep. first time taking a strut apart for both of us.

I kept stock struts they were in great shape, and the rear shocks are still quite good, but i may swap out.

Ride has improved for sure. not stiffer noticeably stiffer, but handles much better.

Why did I go with Ironman? Because nobody here did! haha, no not really... I was worried about the strut top out, and didn't really NEED a lift, but NEEDED to change my coils, and the ironman coils were cheap compared to even after market coils at stock height.

I'm glad I did the ironman to give you guys a bit of insight on how it goes over the next while.

I do have the bulldog look on the front wheels with regard to camber, but i'm going to drive it a week then get it lined up... not sure if i need camber bolts or not... but i will buy them and bring them with me.

Edited by dynomax

Thanks for posting up. I've been thinking of doing the Ironman springs as well for the exact same reasons. Don't want a huge lift, but stock coils are starting to sag. And the price is right! I'd love to see some side-profile pics from 30-45 feet away on the flat to get a good sense of the "levelness" of the lift if you ever get the chance... I like a bit of rake myself, an it looks like these springs give that to you.

Thanks! :aok:

Edited by someguy

I am also going with black sidewalls when i mount my duratracs... i think they give the tire a bigger appearance.

I totally agree with you there. I love the look of mine.

glad to see someone try a new lift supplier :aok:

Exactly. I hope to see a great review from Dynomax.

Dynomax, your camber may not be as bad as you are thinking, optical illusion. I just did the OME med/med lift on my '04, 245/75-16 Duratracs, and my camber "looked" positive. Upon checking, it was still at -3/8 degree, both sides, well within spec. Also, caster was still good, and only had to toe out 1/16" total.

I had the Ironman system on my 97....my opinion there a lil soft...now have OME on my 96....like OME mush better....

I found a guy locally (well, kind of locally, whos got the HD/MD. we're going to get togather and compare the two on a little wheelin trip. I wish I found him before I , ordered the Ironman Coils to try it out, but I still like the little bit of Rake my is appearing to have. I know most ppl here like the level look, but I like a little rake like you'd see on a halfton.

His is on a 1999 and he's running the duratracs! (I thought nobody liked these tires, but the more I dig in to them, the more I like them. I've been running duratracs since 2008!

I find them maybe a little soft in the rear (softer than I was expecting, they seem to have a good spring rate, but seem to almost squirm a bit when offroad.

I may find them soft because before I was basically a hardtail with the rear riding on the bump stops... haha. I think my shocks are gone.

whats the deal on the bilsteins... are they good or what?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to add a little update here on my ironman springs. I had a comment that they were too soft... I don't find the ride soft at all, I find it very close to my stock ride. I have a couple regrets though, well 3... not buying new wheels. buying spacers to give me 4.5" backspace, this is not enough backspace with the fender flares. I should have gone 3.75.

2, going with 245/75/16 again, I should have gone with 265/75/16. I have resigned to the fact that this truck will not give me better than 12 us mpg.

3. not doing it sooner.

Recently I moved my 3800LB travel trailer about 100kms. when I hooked this thing up on my old stock springs, the fender flares started covering the tops of the tires... now it didn't even squat it 1", the truck still shows a bit of its 1.5" rake with the trailer on. Hauled as good as 3800lb can haul behind a pathfinder.

Offroading, I haven't done much as I am just getting back in to some fishing holes, but my first trip, i certainly noticed the clearance increase, and it just seems to handle better.

so, all in all, I have nothing to compare it to except stock, but for $120/pair, I am satisfied with the ironman lift, and met one of my goals, which was to lift without getting any strut topout... which I have none.

By the way, ferrariowner asked how many miles on old coils, and it was 130,000kms (about 85,000mi)

GO WITH DURATRACS, they are awesome. They beat the pants off the Mickey Thompson baja ATZs!!!! and quieter and run smoother... and i had 42psi in them when i was hauling my trailer.

GO WITH DURATRACS, they are awesome. They beat the pants off the Mickey Thompson baja ATZs!!!! and quieter and run smoother... and i had 42psi in them when i was hauling my trailer.

Really? I thought my Duratracs sing a little loud. Hmmm ... ?

Really? I thought my Duratracs sing a little loud. Hmmm ... ?

well, they have a hum to them, I don't find them any louder than BFG AT's. I Think they're a bit louder than good year silent armors for sure, but definatly a lot quieter than my baja atz...

How do you like those RS5000 shocks? they had them on sale, I just missed the sale tonight actually. $90/pc 2nd half off, so $135/pair.... maybe they're cheaper on line?

I am still getting a clunk in my rear somewhere, i thought originally it was the bump stops, but its not, and its not the spare tire or rear gate... is it the end links or whatever they're called in the rear maybe? THey look original, and pretty cheap. the front drag links or end links were replaced with greasable moog's sometime before my aquisition of the truck.

Not sure how to test those, i've checked with truck raised, and lowered, and can't find any play...?

The RS5000's as a shock are better than the factory McPherson's (my only testament). If I could do it again, I'd go with the RS9000's from what I've read in this section though. They really are not a perfect fit for our Pathy's which lead them to "clunk" as the top strut mount is too large of an opening causing them to slide back and forth as the rear end travels up and down. :thumbsdown:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

tjm springs look really close to a King Spring and they both are from Auss i bet they are the same. I was going to run a set of raised king springs as thats what we run on all the subarus. they are really great spring and ride quailty. I was told that they sag on the pathfinder fast. I do know they are procressive. I will be doing a SFD when I lift it more. Ive only got spacers on stock stuff with 233K+ miles, very saggy and lean in rear.

What everyones thoughts on strut up front

OME

King Spring from Aus

Rancho

Let me know as Ill need susp in the next few weeks. I know Ill have a wait from Aus if I dont pay a but load for shipping but looking for quailty and reliable not the max lift as Ill make the SFD to make up for the lift in springs but would rather have good travel and ride quaitly

Thanks everyone for your help and I know the imput helps out others greatly