quick sfd question...

TShep704

Do share your idea!!

But i just called Rancho,(hoping to get some part numbers) they claim to not make a front strut for our generation of pathfinders.

So im do some researching, because i think i know what your thinking.

Ill report back if i find anything.

-Kyle

My idea is simple... I wanted rancho simply because they have a catalog with pretty much all the specs of their shocks... So I wanted to take the part number for the r50 strut (that we can't seem to find anywhere! :-) ) and cross check in the catalog to see the collapsed and extended length, and bottom attachement type, then start looking for same bottom attachement but with a longer extended length.... Then at that point lifting the front would be a simple change of strut with normal springs that comes with them and get the 2-4 inch like that. This would make the use of a spacer useless and make the hole thing more robust and affordable, I think... I'll try to see if I can find my numbers with kyb and start from there...

• Like 1

Awesome!! Yeah that's what I was kind of trying to explain in a not so well way, lol! But one thing since I would think most trucks use coilovers and not struts, I wonder if there would even really be a longer extended strut?? Damn you Nissan for using struts!!!

Edited by AZ_Pathfinder

The blocks that Shift220 uses for the Krypton kits are pretty hefty blocks. Ive seen a lot of pictures of guys on here doin to pretty tough mudding/crawling and I haven't heard of any problems from the SFD. Likely if you bend one of the blocks you had a bad day. Also a lot of the SFD guys use the "missing link" to help stiffen up the front a little more http://npora.ipbhost...howtopic=32398. I havent gotten around to installing one myself as I figure my brother has enough scrap metal and free time we can probably build one.

Didn't 01silverpathy have to weld his because it was shuttering and vibrating at high speed? I dont think he had to seal it, but weld it to the frame right?

He posted a video of the shift he had, would like to it, but i don't remember where it was.

My idea is simple... I wanted rancho simply because they have a catalog with pretty much all the specs of their shocks... So I wanted to take the part number for the r50 strut (that we can't seem to find anywhere! :-) ) and cross check in the catalog to see the collapsed and extended length, and bottom attachement type, then start looking for same bottom attachement but with a longer extended length.... Then at that point lifting the front would be a simple change of strut with normal springs that comes with them and get the 2-4 inch like that. This would make the use of a spacer useless and make the hole thing more robust and affordable, I think... I'll try to see if I can find my numbers with kyb and start from there...

Okay, but i thought the point of the spacer was to level out the car? i had no idea it was because the shock was topping out.

You mentioned you have the catalog, i hope its better than their one only, which is frankly useless.

Is there anyway that we can find out the info on our stock length shocks, like length compressed and open, spring mount size, etc. and then find the exact same thing as an after market one? i know that is the super hard way, but its a possibility right? there has to be something out there that has the same setup as our rigs.

Anyone else have any suggestions ? :jacked:

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

I never saw 01silverpathy's shift thread. I have had my SFD for about 6 months or so now and havent had anything like that. But the fastest speed I can think of havin it up to is bout 85ish.

But anyways I like where Fluerys is goin with his idea I would have figured somebody has tried that before but maybe not! Would be pretty sweet tho..i would probably keep my blocks anyways if possible.

Unless you do some serious offroading you do not need to weld the blocks, in my case I had to... heres a old topic on it http://npora.ipbhost...=1 I had a bad death wobble and it was from the blocks constantly loosening after wheeling and a lower control arm bushing so I ended up just weldig them. It is the same problem 01silverpathy had

Rancho Strut Assembly - Front Right - RS5000 Series - w / 0 in. Lift / Drop;

Your Price: $88.05

with FREE Shipping

Quantity:

Part Number: RS5811

Notes: RS5000 Series; w / 0 in. Lift / Drop;

Features:

• 10-Stage Velocity Sensitive Valving
  • 16mm Diameter Piston Rod
  • 35mm Diameter Piston
  • Adds Strength And Durability
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • Performance In Any Environment
  • Protective Boot Protects Shod Rod/Oil Seal
  • Provides Tuning For Each Application

Thanks for Vaynes calling out my lack of hardcore offroadness... ha! I havent put the pathy in much of a bind tho honestly. I dont have many places to wheel around my parts and most of the areas with decent trails are hit by hardcore mud guys and the holes would likely swallow my pathy. My jeep friend never offers to go first thru the trails...I may try to change that this weekend as he just got his winch in and mounted last night..

• 8 months later...
So I wonder if we could somehow modify another extended strut to fit the knuckle of the our pathfinder. I'm not a big fabricator guy as you may assess from my posts just trying to come up with other ideas. But I do have a really good friend that is a wizard fabricator. Is this even something that could even be a possibility, to modify an extended length strut to work on our pathfinders??

Check out my Koni insert thread!

Check out my Koni insert thread!

For all who have the 96-99 Pathfinders this is a great option to eliminate strut top out, and add a good amount of tune-ability to the front suspension as well. However, this is not an option for the 00-04 Pathfinders since Koni doesn't make a strut insert for these years.

But, if you do have a 96-99 and currently are running KYB struts this is definitely worth looking into!

Look up strut rod extension.

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/vitara-/-x90/strut-spacers-2-25-machined/prod_79.html

What you are doing is essentially lengthening the rod and therefore centering the rods piston in the strut tube housing and preventing top out. Now all kinds of guys here are going to chime in and come up with all kinds of opinions but think about it for awhile and visualize it.

My fabrication didn't incorporate a shouldered portion that goes down over the the rod to the stepped spot and consequently broke. I also didn't use that high of quality steel when I made mine. But it's still a vialble solution and can be purchased or fabricated.