quick sfd question...

TShep704

I also was wondering, for those of you that have done the SFD have you noticed any shifting or movement of the blocks?? Has anyone experienced the blocks themselves shifting or deforming? May be a silly question but it's stuff I think about. If I did the SFD would there be any negatives (other than permanent ) if I were to use the bolts and weld the blocks in? Thanks everyone I'm sure these questions have been asked before so I apologize in advance, lol!

Edited by AZ_Pathfinder

if i bought the sfd kit from krypton fabs... what else would i need to complete the lift? my pathy is stock now

Buy a set of front struts and buy a set of FRONT AC 2" lift coils for the 6" of lift in the front and the rear coils either the jeep coils or get a custom set made from coilsprings.com; there are many threads in here on the rear spring subject just search for them. That is assuming you got the 4" SFD with all the accesories... and a set of shocks, there are quite a few threads in here on what to choose in that area also.

So just a though and I'm sure it's been explained so again sorry, but with the front coils, when doing the SFD it requires a coil spacer. Is there no way to use a longer coil spring without the spacer? I just hate the idea of using the spacer? For example the rear to lift it I've read on here you use a modified jeep coil thats extended with a modified coil spring perch? Maybe as I'm new to struts I'm not grasping the need for coil spacers up front. Any explanation/ help is always appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

So just a though and I'm sure it's been explained so again sorry, but with the front coils, when doing the SFD it requires a coil spacer. Is there no way to use a longer coil spring without the spacer? I just hate the idea of using the spacer? For example the rear to lift it I've read on here you use a modified jeep coil thats extended with a modified coil spring perch? Maybe as I'm new to struts I'm not grasping the need for coil spacers up front. Any explanation/ help is always appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

no you cannot because the coil is <locked in> by the top plate and the lower seat. To have what you would like, you would have to fabricate a coil over setup... and this is something very interesting...

no you cannot because the coil is <locked in> by the top plate and the lower seat. To have what you would like, you would have to fabricate a coil over setup... and this is something very interesting...

I can see the gears turning in your head way down here in the dirty south. Can it be done?

I can see the gears turning in your head way down here in the dirty south. Can it be done?

Yes, it can be done. It's just a matter of affordability. 10 years ago, Calmini (purenissan.com) built an R50 with custom, one-off front and rear bumpers and a prototype lift using Fox (or maybe King) coilover shocks and special mounts, and showed the truck at SEMA. At the time, Calmini was looking to sell at least 10 lift kits per month. Unfortunately, the R50 market for their stuff was too small (and still is) for them to justify putting the parts into production.

I have photos of their prototype somewhere...

Edited by XPLORx4

You can basically make some with old struts and modify tehm a bit and add some new parts (like the coils and threaded core) to eventually get something looking like this...

mump_1008_03_o+macpherson_strut_system+gateway_coil_over_struts.jpg

here's a video I remember watching when I had this idea going through my head last year... This is for racing, but you get the idea....

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2FMgLxxWLs

So is it that the strut shock doesn't extended enough to match the extended coil? Too bad there isn't an extended length strut too match an extended length coil. Or an I still wrong on this, lol, sorry guys.

you get it... that's exactly that. Right now, there is no struts that would be longer and fit the knuckle on our r50 (at least that we can find....)...

Now writing this makes me remember a post from another forum where one of the member from japan found a kit of coil over I beleive that fits our r50 because it was the same platform of another japanese truck which had a lot of aftermarket parts... let me look for this...

here's what I got.

sicwitit wrote:

Alright guys, so I went to about 4 shops today, (the Nissan dealer, Super Autobacs, Signal Auto, and another shop close by thats not a big name in tuning) and I have to say what I learned today is somewhat typical, and awesome at the same time.

Like most car companies, when designing their vehicles, they will often use parts from existing vehicles to keep some of the costs down. (My IS300 for example uses some of the same suspension, brake, door jam weather stripping, engine harnesses, etc, etc as the Chaser, Cresta, GS300, Supra N/A, and even RX300) and wouldn't ya know it, our Nissan Pathfinders are no different. The front struts were shared with a van here in Japan called the Elgrand. I know what your thinking...its a van! Who cares right?

Well, it turns out the Elgrand is a huge hit here in Japan...so much so that Nismo, Bilstien, HKS, Tein, Junction Produce, and a hand full of other companies all make struts/shock combo's that are direct bolt on replacements for our suspension. The pic above of the front Bilstien strut is infact from an Elgrand.....and I've got the model numbers.

ARE3-A165L

ARE3-A165R

I'm searching around now to get prices on them, but I've already found some Nismo struts, and shocks that are valved for a 4000lb van, and shouldn't have any issues handling the weight of our R50's.

this is my annual contribution to the forum...who knows what I might find next year?

Cheers!! JT

So basically, this setup brings it down instead of up, but at least we have a match for a different model that fits our r50... Just have to find one setup that lifts it !, but I'm afraid it won't help really... :-(

Edited by fleurys

So I wonder if we could somehow modify another extended strut to fit the knuckle of the our pathfinder. I'm not a big fabricator guy as you may assess from my posts just trying to come up with other ideas. But I do have a really good friend that is a wizard fabricator. Is this even something that could even be a possibility, to modify an extended length strut to work on our pathfinders??

I say it's probably really possible...just have to modify the base and the top plate to fit our strut tower.... or even maybe modify the tower too... at that point, sky's the limit... I guess someone working in a junkyard would be best placed to trial and error until one model is what we need (extra length and good compromise between firmness and smoothness)... So many ideas, so little time !

Edited by fleurys

When I was doing my SFD my brother and I had this idea. Take my old factory strut cut the shaft about 4 or so inches down carry it and the new strut to a machine shop and have them machine out the factory shaft to thread onto the new strut. thus extending the strut a bit. Of course you would probably bottom out the strut if you were pretty hard on it but as far as topping out you would be ok and gain a little lift? One of the fellas here at work says Fox will build a custom coilover but I havent looked into it a whole lot.

This is all very interesting for sure. Probably the reason why nobody has done it is because of the cost. How much would you pay for a bolt-on coilover strut for your Pathy? $1500 (minimum) per pair? That's what it would probably start at for a custom Fox coilover. I don't know of any R50 owners who would be willing to fork over $1500 for coilovers and still be limited by the IFS.

Remember that you can't make the strut extended length too much longer than stock or you'll blow out your CV axles when the suspension droops.

Only reason I thought of possibly trying that idea was because when I first installed the new coils my pathy was topping out extremely bad. But now that the springs have settled a bit and i have mounted wench bumper it doesnt happen much these days.

I might have an idea... anyone knows the rancho part number of the strut that 4x4parts sells for our r50 when you buy the lift coils from them... ?

Do share your idea!!

But i just called Rancho,(hoping to get some part numbers) they claim to not make a front strut for our generation of pathfinders.

So im do some researching, because i think i know what your thinking.

Ill report back if i find anything.

-Kyle

• Like 1

You can basically make some with old struts and modify tehm a bit and add some new parts (like the coils and threaded core) to eventually get something looking like this...

mump_1008_03_o+macpherson_strut_system+gateway_coil_over_struts.jpg

here's a video I remember watching when I had this idea going through my head last year... This is for racing, but you get the idea....

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2FMgLxxWLs

Man I really wish this was a marketed part!! But at this point I think it would almost be easier to modify a longer strut to fit our pathfinders. I need to get with my buddy Penski and see what his views on this would be. It would be great to incorporate, somehow if at all possible, a longer strut and the SFD, so we wouldnt have to have a coil spacer!!

Edited by AZ_Pathfinder

Another question for you SFD guys out there, have any of you noticed or have concerns for the blocks shifting as there doesnt seem to be much in the way of center stability. What I mean is when wheeling, as normal daily driving i dont see this to be an issue unless your normal daily drive is wheelin in that case AWESOME! But what i mean is the blocks are |_| , well a full square or box. With any offroading I'm worried with the twisting of the truck that the blocks could end up like \_\ or /_/ get my idea?? Shifted as the truck gets twisted on obstacles. I know I'm probably over reacting or over thinking it. I've just never done a suspension lift like this and have concerns as we do a lot of off camber and twisted wheeling out here, not much like mud wheeling or dirt type trails. Lots of rocks to crawl over so the trucks get twisted.

Edited by AZ_Pathfinder

The blocks that Shift220 uses for the Krypton kits are pretty hefty blocks. Ive seen a lot of pictures of guys on here doin to pretty tough mudding/crawling and I haven't heard of any problems from the SFD. Likely if you bend one of the blocks you had a bad day. Also a lot of the SFD guys use the "missing link" to help stiffen up the front a little more http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=32398. I havent gotten around to installing one myself as I figure my brother has enough scrap metal and free time we can probably build one.