OEM center console question

ahardb0dy

Back in the day the Hardbody and the early pathfinder center consoles had the storage compartment lid that opened up to the rear, Nissan offered thru the parts dept a solid armrest pad that bolted to the top of the lid, making it more useable as an armrest. Later on the pathfinders started coming with the plastic storage compartment that opened to the pass side. When I had my 87 hardbody I bought one of the plastic ones and installed it in my stock console (after removing the stock lid of course). Some of you may know I need the little clip that the top of the lid latches into to hold the lid down. I just looked on an online Nissan parts site and in Nissan FAST and both show the consoles with the rearward opening lids, so if the taller plastic storage compartment type console's came stock why can't I find a reference to it anywhere??

Mine broke too, but I ripped it out and glued a couple of magnets in its place. Ghetto, yes, but at least it doesn't rattle anymore. I even have a convenient place to magnetize screwdrivers when I'm working under the dash!

The FSM only shows the rear-opening hatch, and doesn't say much about it. :shrug: If you're not proud, you could probably score a latch mechanism from something else at a junkyard, then hack it to fit.

Don't bother with the lid. They have a really bad flaw where the heavy arm rest actually destroys the center console. The thin ones are just super uncomfortable and useless. The cheesy cup holder lid that opens to the passenger side is the best one from my experience.