33x10.5 with frame rub

AndyC

Im brand new to the forum and new to pathys. I've just purchased a 1992 4 door with a basic 3 in AC lift. It has new torsion bars, tre's hooha, not sure about alignment as it looks way off. All the parts are there for a good truck, just need to work out the gremlins. It has 33x10.5 BFG km2s on stock chrome rims. It rubs on the frame pretty badly. To compound the problem it has a lockrite un the rear, so corners become some what of a rodeo.

Is there a way other than spacers or new wheels to alleviate the rubbing? I have not had a chance to really dig into the setup, hopefully this weekend. Thanks in advance -andy

Edited by AndyC

I've heard you can clear 33s even without a lift, but that's on the alloy ("lego") rims. I know the steel rims are narrower, no idea on backspacing etc. If it needs an alignment, getting that done could help.

Also, :welcome:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the backspacing on the chrome wheels are no good for 33's. Your best bet is to find some Lego's that came on the SE's. Also, it's pretty hard to get the alignment right with a suspension lift on these trucks. I lifted my first truck, and decided not to do it to my second because of all the problems I had with it.

Im thinking backspacing is your issue. If it only happens at full lock, you may want to check the steering stoppers to verify they are not missing. As stated, you may want to have the alignment checked and adjusted as it could also throw things off(too much or too little caster adjustment).

Adjust bump stops...I'm currently running 2" spacers BC i destroyed a set of 33-1250's from frame rub...there's a guy who sells yota spacers for 4 for $100 and they're at least 6061 t6( could have my temper wrong) but yotas are the only thing with a center bore big enough to clear our front hubs...only small annoyance is the yota studs are a different pitch but wasn't an issue for me

I was against spacers for the longest time but really I can only see a little faster bearing wear but I haven't experienced it yet

Thanks for the help! I've been looking for a reasonable set of wheel spacers with little luck. If you have a link that would be great. Otherwise I will be wheel shopping. It's not a DD so if I can get the aligent close, I will be happy.

Thanks for the link! Sorry to beat this horse, but what road would you go down. Spacers or new wheels? Kind of like the look of the chromy wheels so I'm leaning towards keeping them, and they are in great shape. Also thinking of grabbing some JGC coils and mocking up a 1.5in lift to see if I can make it work. Would like to have the geometry a little closer to stock.

I guess, from your experience, would you try and make the 3in lift and 33s work, or stick to a more conservative setup?