2005 Dodge Caravan; No heat.

NissanNismoZ

So, mom traded her 1993 Nissan Quest in for a 2005 Dodge Caravan. So..everything is working great. I get home from work and decide to try everything out for her..and..nothing. No heat what so ever. Temp gauge is exactly between H and C and no heat. Same goes for the rear.

Any ideas? I told her the Nissan was more reliable, even of the suspension had something knocking..

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Try burping the coolant.

1.When the engine is cold remove the radiator cap

2.Fill it to level then start the engine with the cap off

3.Put the heater on full heat

4.Let it burp and fill accordingly.

5.You can also try moving some of the hoses up and down whilst the engine is running

Seems like its a common problem for these vans. Do a quick google search on the coolant leak a few others have a problem with that too.

Edited by Leo94

FYI Caravans use DexCool. That could be a blown head gasket or a leak. Water pump leaks are fairly common on these vehicles. If you let it run low on coolant the head gaskets can definitely fail. The temperature gauge is supposed to be showing one division under the half way mark.

Alright. So it was REALLY low on coolant. Put Dexcool in it to the full mark and let it take it in, then put more until it hit the full mark once more. Much better, it runs cooler and the heat actually works now. Haven't noticed a leak yet, but going to have the dealership track the leak down early tomorrow morning.

Have them change the water pump and flush the cooling system. I think there was a revision on the water pump or the seal. The new water pump should last significantly longer.