would it be plausible to make rear steer

I've always thought rear steer would be sweet, it would have to be full hyrdo. Would it be possible to take a front axle and mount it backwards in the rear and use reverse cut gears from per say a high pinion axle to get it turning the same direction?

I don't figure you'd need to mess with the gears, just flip it over. Of course, the steering angles would be all weird, but you'd have to mess with them anyway (as it would be essentially running backward). And then there's the offset driveshaft...

My dodgy and generally dangerous idea is to take the ends of a front axle, with the knuckle mounts and all, chop the ends off of the stock Pathy rear axle, and fit the front axle bits in their place. That gives you full control over the angles, the mounts are there already... adapting the shafts would likely be a PITA, though.

Or, swap in axles from one of those crazy long missile transport trucks or something... try calling the local jy with that one. :fish:

Edit: word salad

Edited by Slartibartfast

Independent front adapted to the rear would be messy because you have lower control arms and torsion bars to deal with. In theory my idea would be to take a 44 and mount it backwards and leave the diff offset because if you have the correct angles it shouldn't matter that its angled? It's doing the same thing going angled to the side as up and down? Full hyrdo steer wouldn't be connected to the front, it would be a separate valving assembly with the ability to hit a button to bring back to center ( I know they have rams and valves that can do that) and reverse cut gears to make it drive the same as the front. And of course the wheel wells to be able to turn ( I wasn't thinkin pathfinder because that would be even more ridiculous fab work) its not practical what so ever but its one of those day dreams that would be cool to actually build.

I wasn't thinking IFS, I was thinking the ends off a solid front axle. And are the knuckles mounted straight up and down? I don't understand all the steering angles and stuff very well... especially if it was locked straight on-road, and used on the trail, I guess it wouldn't be an issue.

With the offset diff, wouldn't the angles put more strain on the U joints and cause more vibration?

LOL I know what you're talking about. after someone asked about making one amphibious, I was staring at my truck for weeks thinking about where to put ducted water jets, and where to tie them in...

If nothing else, 4WS would be great in tight parking lots!

edit: derp

Edited by Slartibartfast

As long as you have some kind of tie/toe rod then it should be fine to align... as long as it returns to perfect center. My 240sx has electronic hydraulic rear steer (super hicas) from the factory. Although it only turns a few degrees in the rear its the same theory. And a 4 wheel alignment costs the same for it. It just has extra beefy rear tie rods.

It is completely do able. I was just looking at a GMC denali with a rear dana 44 steering axle. It was a great idea,I thought. I have a buddy with a 4 wheel steer buggy that works very good in tight spots.(i am not a buggy fan).Keep in mind it would most likely not be streetable in most states if any.

Yes the point is changing the toe while you drive.:P . But if you meant at the wrong times then you are partially correct, if the car has overly worn rear suspension Bushings or a bad alignment then it can get out of whack. With good Bushings and a solid alignment the car handles like its on rails and eliminates the slight understeer inherent with the s13 chassis. The hicas is not good however if you drift. when the rear wheels spin the hicas computer is reading an incorrect vehicle speed and can turn the wheels the wrong amount or at the wrong time. For grip though it is quite fun and is incredibly nimble in the twisties.

Edited by Nefarious

the denali rear steer is a cool idea but ive seen one and its a electric servo turning a rack and pinion. I will say GM has some great ideas that work great in theory, but when put into action they dont work for very long and cause more headaches then anything else.