AT transmission won't engage

denley

um..no. You don't do this. Why would you get under your vehicle and remove your driveshaft when you are supposed to just put it in neutral?

Nissan owner's manual, page 3-11, 4-wheel drive model: Automatic Transmission model: below 30 mph, less than 40 miles. If speed or distance must necessarily be greater, remove the front and rear propeller shafts beforehand to prevent damage to the transmission.

It also says not to tow backward.

Auto transmissions have a lot of parts, I imagine it needs a spinning engine to keep everything lubed up. Then again, I don't know why they'd say to pull the front shaft, so long as the hubs are unlocked it shouldn't be moving at all.

Then again, it also says to only put tire chains at the back, for some reason. :scratchhead:

um..no. You don't do this. Why would you get under your vehicle and remove your driveshaft when you are supposed to just put it in neutral?

I'm trying to understand, but I think I'm only getting a faint idea. Are you suggesting to loop the trans lines without routing the fluid to the cooler whatsoever?

1. The tranny will not build pressure with the engine off and the wheels and shafts free wheeling. So not every thing gets lubed, So you burn your tranny up flat towing it with the shafts in place. Not a myth, its a common fact. Hell the army pulls shafts when tey tow something.

There is acutally a pump that will lube a AT tranny while towing with out the need too pull the shafts. But its after market and runs off the tow truck. Since you need too replace varius parts of the stock a/t with diffrent parts I'm gonna guess that the OP has not have this mod.

2. And yes, you do not need the cooler to test the tranny ( Like what we are trying too do. I offered a solution to finding out if the cooler is in fact plugged.)

Ok thanks guys. I'm gonna bypass the cooler first just to check for blockages. If that's not the case I'll look into removing and swapping out the trannys.

Well I bypassed the cooler. No difference. So I guess I'll get busy dropping out the tranny and T case out of my parts truck. Thanks for all the helpful info!