Stereo amp location i hate to ask.

wd21overland

I have searched the web and forums but sadly didn't find what i need.

I installed my aftermarket stereo in my truck awhile ago and i have the power going through the factory stereo amp.

Well i just upgraded my speakers again and now i'm getting more hiss so the factory amp has to go.

Everything i have found deals with how to bypass the 2 amps on the clarion 93 to 95 pathfinders with speakers in the roof.

But i'm told the 92's and earlier only have 1 amp for the rear but not sure if thats true.

I was told i have 2 by a friend that has a 95 and he said 1 is under the radio which isn't true for mine since it the abs control unit.

So just wondering if anyone knows if there is just 1 or 2 amps for 92 and older pathfinder i just want to make sure i bypass both amps if i have them.

Also i believe my amp is behind the the right side rear panel i'll have to check on that in the morning.

The 95 FSM shows one amp if you've got 2 or 4 speakers, and two if you've got 6 or 8 (tweeters). Either way, looks like they're both behind the right-hand side panel in the cargo area. Once the panel's out, from front to back, you've got the auto trans computer (if applicable), the rear amp, and then the front amp at the back (EL-77 in the FSM). EL-59 shows the thing under and behind the stereo, but doesn't say what it is. :scratchhead: I don't see it indicated in the wiring diagrams, and all that's said on 59 is that it's got a fuse.

Then again, it also shows the door lock timer in the wrong place, as the illustration is of a two-door Pathy. :scratchhead:

The 95 FSM shows one amp if you've got 2 or 4 speakers, and two if you've got 6 or 8 (tweeters). Either way, looks like they're both behind the right-hand side panel in the cargo area. Once the panel's out, from front to back, you've got the auto trans computer (if applicable), the rear amp, and then the front amp at the back (EL-77 in the FSM). EL-59 shows the thing under and behind the stereo, but doesn't say what it is. :scratchhead: I don't see it indicated in the wiring diagrams, and all that's said on 59 is that it's got a fuse.

Then again, it also shows the door lock timer in the wrong place, as the illustration is of a two-door Pathy. :scratchhead:

Yeah i only have 4 speakers (2) 6.5's in the door and (2) 6x9 in the rear in the pods.

Once the snow storm quits i will check to see if there is a amp in the back.

Well I will be pulling the interior apart quite soon. If I find it then I will be sure to let you guys know. :]

I have 8 speakers though. I have some big speakers I want to run. Gunna take apart my interior and rewire the factory speakers. But Gunna try the big ones out first with the factory amp I guess. ;/

OK so even though it was snowing i went out and looked in the back behind the the door flap on the right side and didn't see anything. So i got a small mirror so i can see around the back and i saw a small bronze box with only 2 wires going to it and it was way far back so guessing there was no way that was it.

So i removed the radio and found my amp it was a 4" cyclinder about 2" tall.

I disconnected it and removed the screw holding the bracket on and pulled it out.(There's some nice space left behind now so always good.

I hooked up my meter to test which colors went to the back brown for the right green for the left for me.

then clip the wires from the connector and soldered them to the ones coming from the radio and good to go.

Everything works fine and sounds better 2.

So for me since i only had 4 speaker system i only have 1 behind the radio if you had a newer model you would have one in the back that power the front with only 4 speakers the fronts don't have a amp.

Also my amp was a panasonic part# 28060 83G00 (25 WATT) lol

Edited by wd21overland

For future reference (somebody's gonna Google this and find our thread for sure) here is a picture of the amps in the passenger side rear quarter panel.

Strangely, the front amp ran the front speakers on my car, the rear amp ran the rear speakers. I have the 8 speaker configuration (two in the doors, two tweeters in the a-pillars, two speakers and tweeters in the ceiling in the back).

Both amps were made by Clarion.

6867697043_46454e5bee.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

For future reference (somebody's gonna Google this and find our thread for sure) here is a picture of the amps in the passenger side rear quarter panel.

Strangely, the front amp ran the front speakers on my car, the rear amp ran the rear speakers. I have the 8 speaker configuration (two in the doors, two tweeters in the a-pillars, two speakers and tweeters in the ceiling in the back).

6867697043_46454e5bee.jpg

022812173904.jpg

• 4 years later...

i realize this is an old thread but I'm not finding what i am looking for....

i have a 1990 pathfinder sev6 4x4 manual transmission

i have located the amp behind the stereo and the fuse in it is fine as well as the one in the fuse panel marked audio amp

i still have no sound from back speakers....

without pulling the passenger rear quarter panel off the inside, i am trying to find out if this model has just one amp or if it has 2.

the front speakers work fine, although they need replacing due to their age and possibly blown....

i dont know if the problem is the rear speakers themselves, or something else. i have speakers to replace those but dont want to cut and splice etc unless necessary....

im hoping they work at least for temporary, but trying to narrow down if its a fuse, bad wires or what...

simply put, it could be a fuse on a second amp, providing there is one... but i also dont want to pull the panel off for no reason if there isnt a second one.

in the event that there ISNT a second one, i could use help determining the problem. the stereo and everything is factory, so its 26 years old and it could have faulty/ bad connections/ whatnot as to why it rear speakers dont work but i doubt it.

i could run new wires and bypass the amp i know exists but i dont want to do that if i dont have to....

any and all help is appreciated.

sorry if i rambled on...

desi

This is the location of the amps in the round dash (94-95) trucks afaik. I believe the square dash trucks have them under the stereo.